- £466 per week
- £67 per night
- 4 Guests
- 3 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No Pets
- Open fire or woodburner
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 double bed
- 2 single beds
- Washing machine
- 1 bathroom
- Towels provided
- Enclosed garden
- On-street parking
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Important - Please note
- Check in: 4.00pm
- Check out: 10.00 am
For family self-catering holidays in the centre of the Suffolk village of Orford, look no further than Crab Cottage. Just seconds from the much loved Pump Street Bakery and just a short walk from both the historic castle and picturesque Quay, there is so much to do without having to start the car!
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
The Property: Furnished in a homely style and complete with flourishes of the owner's own artwork, Crab Cottage makes an ideal getaway bolthole - perfect for escaping the fast paced life of the city. Relax in the cottage garden with the morning paper and croissants from Pump Street Bakery and breathe in the fresh, coastal air. Pack up a picnic, take a map and explore the surrounding area by foot. The original Suffolk white brick flooring can still be seen in the kitchen, this along with the fireplaces, reflect back to Crab Cottage's Victorian past, when it would have been used by one of the village's family of fishermen.
The owner has been sure to provide samples of Suffolk literature to inspire you to explore this fascinating county. The living room displays sketches of some of the county's most charming churches - most of which are just a short walk or drive from Orford - we would highly recommend visiting if you have a passion for historic architecture. Parents will also love introducing their children to the Peter Rabbit single bedroom, complete with original Peter Rabbit book plates forming a storyboard on the wall and a selection of other first edition books in the popular series by Beatrix Potter. (Please treat with care and return after use).
Outside: There is a private path leading to the back of the cottage where there is a very private garden with small patio area. There is also an outbuilding which provides the perfect space for storing bikes and crabbing equipment.
Sleeps 4 in one double room and two single rooms.
Ideal for: Walkers, writers, artists, photographers, small families, friends or couples looking for a really comfortable, simple self catering break where you can be confident that you can purchase fine local food and wine without any need of a car and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
Although there is no wifi connection at Crab Cottage - you can pick up a connection at the local Crown and Castle Hotel and Restaurant as well as many of the local pubs and attractions. Mobile signal is limited in Orford but you can pick it up in certain 'hot-spots' including at the top of the castle!
Exploring: Orford is a stunning conservation coastal village equidistant from Aldeburgh and Woodbridge and just a 10-minute drive from Snape Maltings, the home of Aldeburgh Music. Orford Castle, an iconic symbol of the importance of Orford since the 11th century, can be seen from both the sea and the countryside around the village Orford. The Quay is a buzz of activity throughout the day with fishing boats landing their catch and regular boat trips to Orford Ness, a fascinating shingle spit, opened to the public by the National Trust, and Havergate Island, (the very first RSPB site famed for its avocets) on the confluence of the River Ore and the Butley River. If you want to stick to the river, there are several boat trips available.
Alternatively explore the river on foot. Orford and its surrounding countryside is peppered with footpaths and byways so you can enjoy a different walk every day. If your preference is to eat in then the village shop, Orford General Store is a gem; it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce, its own cafe and a separate butchers shop.
For the best bread, pastries or a light lunch you must try The Pump Street Bakery. Smoked fish can be purchased in Orford at Pinneys. For fresh fish and shellfish when in season try Brinkley's Fish Shed.
If you fancy dining out then book a table at The Trinity Restaurant at the Crown & Castle, a real treat.
Fish lovers will adore The Butley & Orford Oysterage and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailor which will serve you an excellent meal - and you can enjoy the Adnams beer or fine wine as all are within a few minutes' walk of the cottage.
For more information on what to do in the area, please visit our sister site Visit Orford.
- The front door opens onto the living room with open fireplace, sofa, 2 armchairs, side table, display unit with decorative crockery, TV showing Freeview, DVD player, a selection of board games as well as a wide variety of mixed genre books including history of the local area.
- A door opens onto the cottage kitchen with table and chairs for 4, dresser with crockery, electric cooker with 4 ring hob, plenty of cooking equipment and storage, fridge, microwave, washing machine and clothes horse. An under-stairs cupboard provides further storage and also houses an iron. A door leads to the staircase.
- Family bathroom with heated towel rail, basin, bath with shower over head, w.c.
- The steep cottage stairs (with handrail) leads to the first floor.
- Peter Rabbit room with single bed, bedside drawer unit and lamp, plug-in electric radiator, hooks and hangers on the door, a collection of books from the Peter Rabbit series by Beatrix Potter.
- Double bedroom with double bed, chest of drawers, bedside drawer unit and lamp, occasional chair, feature fireplace, built in wardrobe with hanging space.
- Second single bedroom with full sized single day bed, built in wardrobe with hanging space, occasional chair, chest of drawers, lamp, plug-in electric radiator and feature fireplace.
- An enclosed cottage garden with patio and lawned area, complete with garden furniture. An outbuilding provides the perfect place for storing bikes and crabbing equipment.
- Central heating is included on the ground floor. There are plug in heaters in the single rooms and an electric radiator in the double room.
- Bed linen and towels provided, but please bring your own beach towels if you are planning on going to the beach.
- In respect of the owner and other guests, please do not smoke in Crab Cottage.
Crab cottage was the perfect place to spend a sunny Easter visiting family & friends. Such an idyllic and cosy cottage and we were reminded what a beautiful place Orford is - we hope to return soon.
Had a wonderful New Year in this cute cottage. Perfect spot for lazy days with a fire and board games or a stroll to the pub or river. Thank you!
A most enjoyable stay in this cosy cottage. We have been blessed with glorious weather every day. What a fabulous village! The cottage has been ideal for us with a small family, thank you
Lovely Cottage in a beautiful village. Plenty to see and do in Orford. Cottage was a great base to explore further too. Enjoyed a boat trip and or course the kids enjoyed the Pump Street Bakery. Very comfortable, clean and creatively decorated. We will be back!
Lovely cottage in a beautiful part of the world. We very much enjoyed our stay!
We've had a lovely stay on this pretty and homely cottage, the weather has been hot and sunny and we have enjoyed wandering around the village including two pubs,. Suffolk is a beautiful county, we will be back.