DescriptionViews as far as the eye can see over the rivers Alde and Ore and towards Butley Creek. A truly magnificent spot.
ORFORD 1 mile (0.63km) SNAPE 6.5 miles (10km) ALDEBURGH 13 miles (20km) WOODBRIDGE 13 miles (20km) SOUTHWOLD 27 miles (43km) FRAMLINGHAM 14 miles (22km)
The property: This could just about be the most idyllic spot in Suffolk, with spectacular views as far as the eye can see. The Rivers Alde and Ore glisten in the distance, and you are immediately surrounded by the gauzy heathland so typical of this pretty part of Suffolk. The mile-long lane leading from Orford to High Broom does not go much further, and with no neighbours, except for the wildlife, and no traffic to speak of, it would be hard to find a more peaceful spot. This quirky cricket pavilion-style property has been in the same family since the 1930s, and they would love nothing more than for guests to enjoy it as they have over the years. This property is ideal for a family of four or two couples (it has two bathrooms) looking for peace and tranquility near to the Suffolk Coast. Why not swap the hustle and bustle of Aldeburgh and Southwold for calming views over the rivers Alde and Ore? If the family fancy a trip to the coast, a short drive of just 15 minutes will get you there.
The heath and woodland surrounding High Broom is a haven for wildlife; you could sit for hours in the 2 acre grounds just listening to the birds singing. Situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, it is a nature lover's paradise. It is not hard to see why the composer Benjamin Britten was inspired by the vast skies of the Suffolk coast while at a place like High Broom. In 1948 Britten founded the Aldeburgh Festival and the nearby concert hall now offers regular performances in diverse genres of music. To see what is on and to book tickets, visit the Aldeburgh Music Website.
Grounds: The natural garden is beautiful in all seasons, with around 2 acres of grass, heath and woodland just waiting to be explored. Children will have one heck of a game of hide and seek! A picnic bench is available to enjoy during the summer months, and the sitting room doors open onto a small veranda with a view to die for.
Parking: There is plenty of off road parking. High Broom is approached by an uneven cart track, it would therefore be unsuitable for low-slung sports cars.
Sleeps: Four in one double room and one twin room.
Minimum Hire: 3 nights, except in high season when it is a week. Smoking is not permitted.
Pets: Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome.
Self catering eating: Orford is just one mile away, and offers all the amenities you need: Orford General Stores supplies all the essentials, plus local produce and an excellent deli counter. The Pump Street Bakeryand cafe, specialising in delicious homemade breads, cakes and pastries. Tip: The warm sausage rolls are just fabulous! Pinney's of Orfordhave grown oysters in the Butley River since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. Brinkleys fresh fish shed is situated on the quay and is the place to buy freshly caught fish. Fantastic on the BBQ! The Riverside Tearoom offers a good cuppa, lunchtime food and a splendid view.
Eating and drinking out: There are three good pubs/restaurants in Orford, all serving freshly cooked and locally sourced meals: The Jolly Sailor pub - Fish straight from the North Sea, home-smoked hams, handmade sausages, freshly baked breads, and regional ales are but some of the tasty treats on offer.The Kings Head- Serving classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu, all subject to the chef's individual style. The Crown and Castle Hotel - Owned by Channel 4's Ruth Watson, The Crown and Castle offers fantastic lunchtime and evening menus. Time is devoted to sourcing local produce and creating varied menus which offer robustly flavoured but elegantly presented food.
Entertainment: Flat screen TV with Freeview, DVD player, CD player, games, books and a whole lot of garden to be ventured. Packing tips Binoculars, map, fishing rod, crabbing lines, bird book, and picnic rug.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 1.3 miles
- Nearest pub 1.3 miles
- 1.3 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
All accommodation is on the Ground Floor
- Entrance is via the kitchen door: The kitchen has an electric cooker with cooker hood, electric grill. large fridge and freezer, microwave, kettle, toaster and good storage space
- The dining room has a large oval table with 4 chairs, wonderful views over the garden to the estuary and beyond to the sea, a sideboard with a great selection of board games
- The sitting room includes an open fire, 2 sofas, armchair, occasional tables, bookcase with good selection of novels and local interest books, flat screen HD ready TV with DVD, free view channels available. Doors lead to the verandah with outside table and benches. Wonderful views out over the garden, the estuary and the sea
- Bedroom 1 has a double bed with bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe. Fantastic views of the estuary and the sea
- There is a bathroom with bath, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- The second bathroom includes a shower (12 inch step), wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- The hall is tiled and has coat hooks and plenty of room for shoes and boots
- Bedroom 2 has 2 single beds with small chest of drawers and lamp between the beds
- Opposite the kitchen is a small outbuilding with tumble dryer and additional storage, travel cot
- The garden is around two acres in all. It is utterly informal and is maintained as part of the local heathland with walks cut through the grass and bracken, trees include a large beech, silver birch and gorse. Rabbits abound (as do rabbit holes) and deer are a common sight. A great space for children to explore and adults to relax in
- High Broom is reached via a sandy track with pot holes - if your car has low clearance you may prefer to leave it at the bottom of the track
- There are new electric radiators throughout which warm the house in minutes. There is an open fire in the sitting room. Logs and coal can be purchased at Friends Garage in Orford. Closes midday on Saturday and all Sunday.
- Bed linen and towel are included but please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- A charcoal BBQ provided.
- A limited broadband/wifi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
This cottage is in an idyllic spot. Peaceful, beautiful, lovely colours and sunsets.Dr Tredre - 25th September 2018
Loved the property and loved it's secluded location, yet near enough to walk to the pub. Miss Elizabeth Ellis - 9th July 2018
Would like to go againMrs Jane Steel - 10th June 2018
An excellent little getaway... loved the location... really miss sitting on the terrace with a G&T taking in that beautiful vista... Mr William McCloy - 27th May 2018
We had a fantastic stay here, the property was exactly as described and the location was just perfect. Thank you to the owners for sharing this house so we can all enjoy it!Miss Frances Sherar - 13th November 2017
Amazing location and a fun and quirky property. We had a great time and would be very pleased to return to High Broom.Mrs E Halstead - 27th October 2017
Very happy with this beautiful home in its fantastic location. The wildlife in the gardens was a real plus. We saw muntjac, hares, rabbits and the bird life included a family of marsh harriers. Every evening the godwits would fly overhead and the geese are lovely to listen to. The cottage is excellent with the best bed that I've ever slept in in a holiday home. It is remote and peaceful.Mrs Julia Walkling - 9th October 2017
High Broom was a sweet cottage and we had a very pleasant week.Mrs Jane Epstein - 25th September 2017
The cottage was exactly as described. Very comfortable & enjoyable.Jennifer B, Flintshire - 18th August 2015
If you want peace and tranquility far from the madding crowd, then look no further than High Broome. We have just spent the most wonderful 12 days over Xmas/NY with family. The kitchen is very well equipped, and everything was utilised during our stay! It is very warm, cosy and comfortable, with lovely paintings of the local area on the walls, plus a history of the bungalow for us to enjoy. The garden has lovely grass walkways mown amongst the broome. We even had one breakfast al fresco! As keen walkers and cyclists it is a perfect place to pursue our dreams. The views from the house are superb and wildlife is abundant. We hope to return!Ms Sue Brymer
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price