- £745 per week
- £106 per night
- 8 Guests
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No Pets
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 double bed
- 3 single beds
- 2 bunk beds
- Washing machine
- 2 bathrooms
- 1 WC
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Enclosed garden
- Ground floor bedroom
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Reduced Occupancy Offer - This property can also be booked for 6 people, using 3 bedrooms only. For full details, please see property ref: SFMOA6.
A traditional Suffolk cottage within view of Orford castle, hence its name, now completely refurbished. The elegant interior design reflects its coastal surroundings; its furnishings an imaginative combination of the contemporary and artisan with a smattering of fascinating antiques.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
A traditional cottage in the centre of the village close to the castle, village shops, cafe, two excellent restaurants and two fine Adnams pubs. Moat Cottage ticks all the boxes for anyone looking for a really comfortable self catering option. Contemporary chic sits comfortably with pretty antiques and delightful, understated reminders of the cottage's coastal location - a drift wood wine rack and mirror surround. Old postcards of Orford and a view of the castle remind us of the history and interest of the cottage and of Orford itself. Now the Old Bakery at the end of the patio has been beautifully converted to provide another double bed/sitting room (double sofa bed) with en-suite shower room, thus making the cottage suitable for two families of 4 in high season. At other times it gives holidaymakers the option to spread themselves and of course make use of the second bathroom.
Orford was once an important port with a thriving quay, several churches and of course its own castle. Today it is one of the prettiest coastal villages in East Anglia. While it has diminished in size, it has developed in style. Not only is there a fine range of eateries, its shops are excellent and you can get everything there from smoked fish, beautiful bread and croissants to log baskets. Orford is a village in which to relax and slow down. There are fine walks and quiet cycle rides from the cottage and with Orford Ness(National Trust), Havergate Island (RSPB) and a choice of estuary trips you will always have something of interest to fill your days. For the more energetic, there is of course sailing and yachting on the estuary. Painted by J M W Turner, Orford is well loved by contemporary artists and photographers.
If you want to see more of Suffolk then Iken, Snape, Aldeburgh and Woodbridge are all within a short drive or a cycle ride of Orford. The countryside is gently rolling and attractive, allowing fine views of the Suffolk skies and their magnificent sunsets and you are always close to the water - the Alde and Deben estuaries, and, of course, the sea.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- The white wooden gate (there are two steps) leads to the patio where there are several elegant pot plants and a large garden table and chairs
- Two steps lead through the back door directly into the tiled kitchen, which has been superbly designed and includes a free standing antique dresser, as well as a good selection of fitted cupboards. Equipped with microwave, electric oven and hob, dishwasher.
- To the left of the kitchen is the bathroom with sit up bath and overhead shower, wash basin, loo and heated towel rail
- There is a spacious dining room with original brick floor, electric log effect stove, large american style fridge with freezer compartment, cupboard and large dining table with cushioned bench seats and 3 chairs (seats 8 comfortably)
- The sitting room is cosy and carpetted and is another good sized room with occasional tables, two sofas, chair, bookcase and corner cupboard with flat screen TV, DVD, wifi and iPod dock
- The cottage has a straight but steep staircase with one handrail leading to the first floor
- The master bedroom is light and airy with two large windows. It has bedside tables and lamps, a chest of drawers, hanging hooks, washbasin and a door to the en-suite loo, where there is a cupboard storing the hot water cylinder
- The bunk room has two porthole windows to the staircase and built in full sized bunks with storage underneath and a chair.
- The twin bedroom has a bedside table and lamps, chair, linen basket, hanging cupboard and easy chair
- The owners provide travel cot, high chair and baby bath for the convenience of those with babies
- The old bakery (situated on the far side of the patio) has been recently converted into a further bed / sitting room (sofa converts to double bed) with flat screen TV and en-suite shower room with wash basin and w.c. There is a washing machine.
- Bed linen and towels and central heating are provided. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Bikes can be stored on the patio. Parking is on the road opposite the cottage
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- A high speed wi-fi service is provided.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
Beautiful cottage in idyllic Orford We loved every minute of our stay - what a beautiful cottage in an idyllic location. A stone’s throw from all the highlights of the Suffolk coast, but tucked away from the hustle and bustle of town, yet within walking distance of the quay, great restaurants, the best stocked corner shop I’ve ever had the pleasure of shopping in and a super bakery. The owners have clearly thought of every last detail to make this a true home away from home. Cosy living areas, kitchen well equipped with everything you need, comfy beds, high quality bed linen, and beautifully decorated throughout with thoughtful touches including a very handy and thorough guide to the property and surrounding area. We loved relaxing in the cottage, exploring Orford & its castle as well as Orford Ness and visiting other great sites close by including Sutton Hoo & Woodford. Would definitely recommend!
We enjoyed our stay at Moat Cottage. We also really enjoyed Orford; the pubs, walks, Pump House Bakery and carols at the Church.