- £960 per week
- £137 per night
- 6 Guests
- 4 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 1 Pet
- Private Parking
- Games room
- Swimming pool
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- 2 single beds
- 2 single Zip&Link beds
- Washing machine
- 3 bathrooms
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Wet room
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Garden, courtyard or patio
- Private parking
- Ground floor bedroom
- Wet room
An outstanding Suffolk self-catering holiday home; this wonderful old thatched wooden barn has gone through several transformations over the centuries, the conversion in 2014 to a holiday property being its most stunning. The Pottery Barn is beautifully finished and has a private terrace and orchard garden, shared use of a children's astro-turf play area and option to use a brand new state of the art gym and training pool. Just outside the village of Butley, close to the Suffolk coast at Orford, The Old Cafe is ideal for holidaying at any time of the year.
ORFORD 4 miles (6km), SNAPE 5 miles (8km), ALDEBURGH 11 miles (18km), WOODBRIDGE 7 miles (12km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (38km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (20km)
About the Property:
The Pottery Barn is one of several traditional, thatched Suffolk barns, that were originally built to house the livestock and produce of a really large farm. Some years ago, Butley Barns was converted into a pottery, artist's studio and cafe art gallery. In 2011 the entire complex was purchased by its current owners, who have completely refurbished the barns to create two superb detached properties, and a fitness complex. The Old Cafe was totally refurbished in 2014 to create spacious and very private self catering en-suite accommodation for up to 6 adults plus 2 younger children.
There has been a real eye to detail and bathrooms are finished in limestone with feature tiled walls and large 'rainforest' showers. Few of the original features have been lost and whilst there is central heating, new windows throughout, slate flooring to the ground floor and a solid oak staircase leading to the first floor, the vast majority of old beams and brickwork has been retained.
Down a meandering rural by-way, flanked by open fields and farmland, farm buildings and woodland copses. The garden at The Pottery Barn, Butley Barns is ideal for all ages.
To the front of The Pottery Barn is a gated driveway with off road parking for at least 3 cars.
Indoor Heated Training Pool and Gym:
In the summer of 2014 the owners added a fitness gym complex including 4 top grade exercise bikes, yoga mats, a training pool (14ft by 8 ft), showers and changing area.
Please request use of these facilities at time of booking. The facilities can also be requested by guests staying at Butley Barn at the same time, so it is only available on a first come, first served basis.
Please note the gym equipment is not suitable for children under 12, but the "whirlpool" effects created by the currents in the training pool have already proved a great success with youngsters (children must be supervised at all times) .
A selection of outdoor games are stored in a small barn and there is lots of space for toddlers to cycle on the shared astroturf area which is large enough for badminton, volley ball or year round football.
On the edge of the village of Butley, just a few miles from the charming coastal village of Orford, The Pottery Barn is off one of Suffolk County Council's designated "Quiet Lanes". It looks out over farmland and the village green. At the northern edge of Rendlesham Forest, a lovely area for woodland walks and mountain biking, The Old Cafe at Butley Barns is just a short walk from the village of Butley.
There are some splendid country walks here; most notably Staverton Thicks, which has a deer park and woods of oak and holly; the oldest trees dating back more than 400 years. The area has a fascinating history.
Nearby Butley Priory, built in the 11th century, was for centuries the haunt of kings. Just a walk away are Butley Clumps, a fascinating avenue of beech trees planted in fours, with a pine tree at the centre of each clump - a quincunx.
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking?! There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Suffolk Cottage Holidays team on 01394 389189.
Butley has long been renowned for its oysters, and the oyster beds have recently been revived. You can buy oysters, in season, in Orford at theButley Orford Oysterage.
Sleeps: 6 in 1 king sized double bedroom and 1 optional superking or twin (please let us know which at time of booking) on the 1st floor and 2 single bedrooms which share a shower room on the ground floor. 2 travel cots are available on request.
Minimum Hire: 3 nights, except in high season when it is a week.
Also: No smoking permitted. One well behaved dog welcome.
Self catering eating:
Orford is just a couple of miles away, and offers all the amenities you need:
- Orford General Stores provides all the essentials, plus local produce and an excellent deli counter
- The Pump Street Bakery and cafe, specialising in delicious homemade breads, cakes and pastries. (Tip: The warm sausage rolls are just fabulous!)
- Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day.
- Brinkleys fresh fish shed is situated on the quay and is the place to buy freshly caught fish. Fantastic on the BBQ!
- The Riverside Tearoomoffers a good cuppa, lunchtime food and a splendid view.
Eating and drinking out
The Froize, Chillesford is just a mile down the road and an exceptionally good restaurant for Sunday lunch or evening meals, but book now, it is deservedly very popular
There are three good pubs/restaurants in Orford, all serving freshly cooked and locally sourced meals:
The Jolly Sailor - Fish straight from the North Sea, home-smoked hams, handmade sausages, freshly baked breads, and regional ales are but some of the tasty treats on offer.
The Kings Head - Serving classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu, all subject to the chef's individual style.
The Crown and Castle Hotel- Owned by Channel 4's Ruth Watson, The Crown and Castle offers a fantastic lunchtime and evening menus. Time is devoted to sourcing local produce and creating varied menus which offer robustly flavoured but elegantly presented food.
Flat screen TV with Freeview, games room with pool table, books and a whole lot of garden to be enjoyed.
Binoculars, map, fishing rod, crabbing lines, bird book, and bikes - a great place for cycling.
- The back door leads into a utility area with units and a washing machine, beyond which is a wet room shower room with shower, wash basin and w.c
- A door from the utility rooms lead to the kitchen, which is part of the large open plan living area. There is slate flooring throughout and underfloor heating.The fully fitted kitchen has a dishwasher, gas hob, electric oven, extractor hood, microwave, kettle, toaster, large fridge and freezer. A Nespresso machine is also available
- There is a large dining table, seating up to 8 people from which there are views over the garden.
- The sitting room area includes a sofa, armchair, soft stool and large flatscreen TV with DVD player
- Bedroom 1 has wood flooring, a single bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and French-style coat hooks
- Bedroom 2 has wood flooring, a single bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and French-style coat hooks
A gently turning oak staircase leads to the First Floor.
- The Master Suite consists of a superking bedroom (optional twin - please specify at time of booking) and adjoining dressing area. 2 travel cots can be made available on request. There is a chest of drawers and hanging space. A door from the dressing room leads to:
- The shower room with wet room shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- There's a Family bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- Second double bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside lights, chest of drawers and French-style coat hooks
- A five bar gate leads to the garden where there is parking for two to three cars.
- To the front of the barn is an area of shared astro-turf; great for ball games, badminton, volley ball and table tennis. Steps lead up to the main garden which is hedged with lawns, orchard trees and planting. The garden is not fully fenced
- There is garden furniture including a table and chairs for all the guests.
- A separate barn has been converted to a state of the art gym with training bikes linked to the large flat screen TV as well as an indoor heated training pool. Guests are welcome to use the facility, please request when booking. (Children must be accompanied by an adult when using the training pool). Please note, this is subject to availability on a 'first come, first served' basis if the main barn is booked, unless both parties are happy to share.
- A further barn houses a pool table and a selection of games, available to all guests staying at Butley Barns.
- Please note, this is an agricultural area, and there is a working farm behind Butley Barns, so there may be farm traffic at certain times of the year.
- Central heating throughout, bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own swimming towels
- Baby Friendly- two high chairs and two travel cots are available on request. If using the travel cots, please provide your own bedding.
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door. See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.