A stunning, traditional village cottage, beautifully modernised to create spacious accommodation. Its large rear garden, games room, off street parking and separate annexe make it the ideal place for multi generations of families or friends to holiday together in Suffolk.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the property: Situated in the centre of the popular coastal village of Orford, 109 Front Street has been lovingly extended to maximise space for parties of up to 8. Catering for both young and old the property has a quiet feel whilst still only being minutes from all the best that Orford has to offer. The traditional wooden beamed sitting room measures the full width of the house with the added bonus of a log burning stove and board games for those long winter nights. To the rear, step into the ultra modern kitchen and dining area, complete with sky lights and bi-folding doors, the room really brings the outside in, creating a light, bright and open entertaining space. The upstairs bedrooms can be accessed via two staircases, one quite narrow. A further bedroom can be found in the outside Annexe, complete with en-suite. In fact the Annexe itself is tailored to the holidaymaker, complete with ground floor games room and small kitchen area, overlooking the garden - so perfect for outdoor barbecues.
Outside: The garden is fully fenced with a 5 bar gate separating the garden from the drive and the road. Complete with trampoline and games room, children will be entertained for hours as they play a game of pool or sit down on the bean bags to watch TV. The patio area has table and chairs for all guests.
This property is ideal for: Within 200 yards of the recreation ground children will love the well equipped playground and playing field. Just a short stroll from Orford's attractive quay, with its constant attraction of small sailing crafts and yachts, and boat trips to Havergate Island and Orford Ness, there is lots to do and see whatever your age or interest.
One of the most attractive coastal villages on the East coast, Orford retains both a fascinating 12th century castle and church. Well provided with village shop, bakery, butcher, a fresh fish stall, craft shops, excellent restaurants and traditional pubs everything is on your doorstep.
On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness, which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea. Accessible by ferry, Orford Ness is now managed by the National Trust; here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds nesting here or trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation both for secret development of radar and munitions and in the defence of Britain. From Orford Quay one can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the avocet.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and the Snape Maltings Concert Hall and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began life some fifty years ago.
The market town of Woodbridge is within half an hours drive along pleasant rural lanes and has plenty of interesting historic buildings, galleries, a quayside theatre and restaurant, a picturesque river walk and a great selection of pubs and tearooms.
Eating In: The Orford General Stores stocks almost everything and the staff are friendly and really helpful. The award winning Pump Street Bakery, with an amazing and tempting selection of pastries and artisan bread, made by hand, using traditional methods and natural ingredients is just round the corner. Alternatively, the nearest Waitrose and Tesco are 10 miles away in Saxmundham and will deliver to this address.
Eating out: There are two fine pubs - The King's Headand The Jolly Sailor- and two great restaurants - The Trinity at The Crown & Castle and The Butley Orford Oysterage- within a short walk of 109. A short drive away, cycle ride, or 2 mile walk across fields, is the village of Chillesford and The Froize Inn, which is rustic, charming and has an excellent menu.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 8
- 5 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bedroom
- The covered porch opens into a good sized tiled hall with a church pew seat and large walk-in cupboards for coats, boots and pushchairs. A children's cricket set for use in the garden or on the nearby playing field
- A cloakroom with w.c. and washbasin.
- A bedroom with full sized single bed (further pull out bed available for use by a child only - please bring own linen), bedside cabinet and lamp, hooks, chair and table, electric piano
- Double width sitting room with sofa, armchairs, coffee tables, log burning stove, BT TV, DVD and Nintendo Wii and cupboards with board games and children's toys, and books on the local area including Sammy the Suffolk Seal. A door leads to a narrow staircase to the master bedroom.
- The large tiled kitchen is fully fitted and includes a butler's sink, large Rangemaster cooker with double oven and five rings, a Rangemaster larder style fridge freezer, toaster, cafeterie, built in microwave, dishwasher, electric whisk and an excellent selection of cooking utensils and equipment. There is plenty of storage space in the cupboard. There are skylights and bi fold doors to the patio so there is a real sense of light and air in this large family room.
- A large refectory dining table with upholstered benches, and chairs for 10 or more guests finishes the room and makes dining with friends a delight.
- Folding doors lead out to the patio
- There is a separate utility room with storage cupboards, sink, iron and ironing board and a washer/dryer.
- Bedroom 1 with double bed, bedside cupboards and lamps, chest of drawers and mirror, wash basin, a fitted cupboard with hanging space and shelving and a feature fireplace. (Wooden staircase not for customer use and parents please watch small children).
- The Master bedroom has a double bed with bedside tables and lamps, built in cupboard with hanging space, chest of drawers and door to En suite bathroom with bath with overhead shower, two wash basins, w.c. and heated towel rail. A door leads from the master bedroom to a narrow staircase to the sitting room. This bedroom can also be accessed via the main staircase.
- Bedroom 3 is a spacious single bedroom with bedside table, storage cupboard, hanging hooks and mirror.
- The family bathroom has a large walk in shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- To one side of the house is a large games room with pool table, large wall mounted TV and bean bags, a great space for the children. The room has the advantage of a small kitchen area with sink, fridge, kettle etc, ideal for preparing bits and pieces for a bbq. There is also a sofa bed that could be used by a child (please bring own linen) and a side table. Upstairs there is a double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, chair with lovely views of the garden. There is also an en suite with w.c., hand basin, heated towel rail and a large walk-in shower.
- The drive has parking space for two cars and is separated from the garden by a 5-bar gate.
- Bifold doors lead from the dining area to the patio where there is a garden table and chairs with seating for 10.
- Beyond the patio is a large lawned area surrounded by shrub beds. There is a full sized trampoline.
- There is a charcoal barbecue - please provide your own charcoal
- Central heating, there are radiators throughout the house.
- There is a log burning stove for which a small supply of logs are provided. Further logs can be purchased from the garage across the road (open Monday to Saturday), or from Orford Stores.
- An unlimited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router.
- If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
Mr Roger Holland - 20th September 2018
It was an excellent property for us - just the right size so everyone had their own space and we loved the kitchen/dining area as it was great for getting together (we have friends in Orford ) Highly likely to book it again next year.Ms Maureen Hinton - 12th August 2018
Great property in a lovely village. Very short walk to the local pub where we had some excellent meals. Orford is a lovely village very quite and peaceful with short walks to the Quay or castle. We had a lovely stay here with 3 generations of our family and dog. Excellent kitchen and beautiful garden where we enjoyed a couple of BQS enjoyed playing pool and table tennis at the house would definitely stay here again. Mrs Carole Allen - 10th July 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Cookery Workshop and Entertainment
Have fun and learn some new skills with a cookery workshop from local chef Emma Crowhurst
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.