DescriptionThe Old Post Office is situated in the very centre of the delightful coastal village of Orford, known as Market Hill, The Old Post Office is the south side of Market Hill and is one amongst an unspoilt row of traditional buildings. The house has been fully refurbished over the past couple of years to include lovely new bathrooms and a delightful dining room extension with bifold doors to the terrace and the private rear garden.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the property: Beautifully presented, this delightful property has been completely refurbished in 2016. Comfortable and spacious, The Old Post Office makes the perfect holiday home for families with youngsters or two to three couples. There is a ground floor bedroom with twin beds (zip and link so can be booked as king), with cloakroom opposite. A very spacious kitchen / dining room has been created at the back of the house with bi fold doors opening on to the patio and private south facing walled garden. The utility room houses the washing machine and there is ample space for dumping sailing kit and walking paraphernalia. The sitting room includes an open fire. Upstairs there is a master bedroom with en suite bathroom with roll top bath and separate corner shower and two further bedrooms, one with a double bed, the other with bunks as well as a family bathroom
Grounds: The walled and gated south facing garden opens out from the terrace beyond the French doors, perfect for kids to play in while the adults enjoy a BBQ and glass of wine on the terrace.
Parking: There is no designated parking for The Old Post Office, however there is free parking in Market Hill opposite the front of the house.
Sleeps: Eight. Two double bedrooms, one with king bed, the other with double, a twin bedded room (zip and link) and bunk room with two full sized bunks.
This property is ideal for: Families, or up to three couples. Orford has something for everyone; sailors, walkers, fishermen, cyclists, bird watchers, music and art lovers, those interested in history and food, or simply wanting to relax!
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots, will be very useful so you can have a good old stomp along the coast without ruining your best shoes! A wonderful area for cyclists, bicycles can be stored in the rear garden. Don't forget beach towels, fishing nets, crabbing lines and fuel for the BBQ.
Family Holidays: The garden is enclosed and with the castle and the estuary practically on your doorstep there is plenty of space to be explored by the kids.
Market Hill was reputedly once much larger, extending to the Castle gate, although the gate may actually have been nearer than at present. Markets have been held on the site or for almost 900 years as have traditional fairs in its vicinity. In days gone by Market Hill had a good number of shops; today there is fish restaurant (Pinneys) and bakery (Pump Street Bakery) - that said both are world reputed and an essential part of any stay in Orford. There is a small newspaper kiosk just a few steps from the cottage, an excellent village stores (now housing the post office and an ATM) and excellent butchers all within a couple of minutes walk.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at The Old Post Office. Start your morning with fresh croissant and coffee from the lovely Pump Street Bakery across the road, fantastic. Enjoy coffee at the Riverside Tea Rooms overlooking the water by the quay. Orford General Stores where you will find a great selection of local produce has a Post Office and an ATM as well as all the staples for holiday in Suffolk.
There is also an excellent butcher and smoked and fresh fish at Pinneys.There is also Brinkley's fresh fish shed on the waterfront by the quay..
Eating out: There is no shortage of good pubs and restaurants within a few yards of the Old Post Office.
The Butley Orford Oysterage
In the Market Square +44(0)1394 450277, just yards from The Old Post Office, it is predominantly a fish restaurant, serving oysters, smoked delicacies, local fresh fish and shellfish as well as fish dishes from all over the world. The presentation and surroundings are simple and uncomplicated.
The Trinity at the Crown and Castle+44 (0)1394 450205
A highly regarded, informal restaurant called The Trinity Bistro, which holds 2 AA rosettes and a Michelin bib gourmand.
The Jolly Sailor in Quay Street, +44(0)1394 450243 ,
A 16th century pub loved by the locals but a genuinely warm welcome to holidaymakers as well. Excellent, locally sourced, freshly cooked food with a menu of unspoilt favourites. Children, animals and well-behaved adults are welcome, they have a lovely big garden with a children's play tower.
The Kings Head+44(0)1394 450271
This historic 13th Century pub combines all the atmosphere of a traditional inn with great real Adnams ales, classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu, which incorporates modern British cuisine and twists on popular classics. All dishes are prepared using local ingredients where possible and subject to chef's acclaimed, individual style.
For more information on the area please take a look at our own information websites Visit Orford , Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Woodbridge.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bedroom
- The hall opens into the outer hall where there are coat hooks.
- The sitting room has a charming Victorian fireplace - idea for a cosy log fire in the winter; there are two sofas and a couple of small chairs, occasional tables with lamps and a coffee table. Book shelves are packed with an eclectic collection of books for holiday reading and there are cupboards below with games. There is a flat screen TV.
- There is a cloakroom with w.c. and wash basin.
- There is a large dining room with table and chairs, beneath a lantern roof. Bi fold doors open onto the patio with the garden beyond. The rear of the dining room has a Victorian fireplace (not in use) with original cupboards to one side and easy chairs. There is an upright piano which guests are welcome to use (with care).
- The dining room opens into the spacious kitchen with an array of fitted cupboards, there is a Neff oven, electric hob, built in dishwasher, full height fridge freezer, toaster, microwave, kettle etc. Beyond the kitchen is a utility area with floor to ceiling cupboard containing the washing machine and loads of storage space
- There is a ground floor bedroom with two zip and link single beds (convert to large king), bedside table and lamp, wardrobe and built in cupboards with more books and space beneath for storage.
- The staircase has a rail to one side and a turn half way up.
- The Master Bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, built in wardrobe, chest of drawers with mirror above.
- The newly refurbished en suite bathroom includes a large corner shower with rain shower and hand held shower, heated towel ladder, wash basin, w.c. and deep roll top bath with taps and hand held shower attachment.
- Bedroom 2 has a lovely Victorian fireplace (for display only), double bed with bedside chests of drawers and lamps, built in wardrobe
- Bedroom 3 has full sized bunk beds, a desk with lamp, chair and large chest of drawers. There are hooks on one wall.
- The family bathroom has a large corner shower with rain shower and hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., as well as a ladder heated towel rail.
- The garden is fully fenced and has a generous sunny terrace, patio area with table and chairs and parasol, grassed area surrounded by shrubs and herbs. There is a shed for bike storage and a lockable gate leads from the rear garden to a path connecting back to Market Hill
- There is oil central heating throughout as well as an open fire in the sitting room - a starter bag of logs is provided, further logs and coal can be purchased from Friends Garage or the General Stores in Orford.
- In consideration of other holidaymakers please do not smoke in the house
- Travel cot and high chair are provided. Please bring own bedding for the travel cot
Superbly presented property in such an excellent location for all the numerous things to see and do in and around Orford. Great to be able to take our dog too. Will definitely be returning!!Mr Martin Baxter - 31st October 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...