DescriptionA charming property superbly positioned in the very heart of one of Suffolk's most attractive coastal villages, Orford. Within steps of all the fine amenities of Orford, the cottage's location makes it totally private with windows overlooking its delightful garden.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km), ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km), WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km), SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the Property: The refurbishment of The Pump House displays both fine taste and a complete empathy with the traditional design of the original cottages. Once three adjoining cottages, Orford's Pump House has been transformed into a charming self catering holiday cottage. And if you are one of those people who has to keep in touch with the office wherever you are, there is WiFi access.
This property is ideal for: A family group or a gathering with friends. The large sitting room is perfect for both relaxing and entertaining. The fully-fitted kitchen is a delight to cook in, keep an eye on the children as they play board games on the dining room table. To the rear, the TV room provides a perfect solace for those wanting a bit of down time. The garden is a real delight. Summer barbecues are a real treat here as you enjoy the sun in the enclosed and private space.
Exploring: Just two hours from London and the Midlands, Orford, on Suffolk's Heritage Coast, is a delightful coastal village combining the remoteness and solitude of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with the gourmet delights of London's finest restaurants and England's finest pubs. Orford retains both a fascinating 12th century castle and church.
Well provided with village shop, a fresh fish stall, craft shops, excellent restaurants, traditional pubs and a riverside tea shop - everything is on your doorstep.
On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness, which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea. Accessible by ferry, Orford Ness is now managed by the National Trust; here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds nesting here or trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation, the secret development of radar and munitions and the defence of Britain.
From Orford Quay you can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the beautiful wading bird, the avocet.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and the Snape Maltings Concert Hall and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began life some fifty years ago.
Self Catering Eating and Drinking: You can buy all you want to eat in Orford and even order groceries to be there for your arrival from Orford General Store, and fetch the finest baked goods from the popular Pump Street Bakery. Of course, a short 20-30 minute drive away is the market town of Woodbridge, packed with independent shops and a small supermarket.
Eating and Drinking Out: Two good pubs - The King's Head and The Jolly Sailor - and two great restaurants - The Trinity and The Butley Orford Oysterage - are within a minute's walk of The Pump House.
For lots of information on the area please go to our own online guide to the area Visit Orford
- Sleeps 7
- 4 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The front door leads straight into a brick floored sitting room with armchair and sofa, bookcase, occasional tables and a writing table, wi fi connection
- From the sitting room a door leads into the kitchen. With handmade fitted units, the kitchen is very well equipped for even the keenest cook. It has a ceramic hob, oven, extractor, 4 slice toaster, microwave, liquidiser, coffee maker and cafetieres, dishwasher, washer/dryer, fridge, freezer, and dresser and butler sink.
- The kitchen has a breakfast bar which opens onto the dining area
- Dining room with large table and 8 chairs and herringbone brick floor, a door from the dining room leads to the garden
- The dining area is divided from the tv room by an attractive open fireplace
- The TV room is comfortably furnished with wicker sofa and chairs, coffee table, ornamental fireplace and flat screen TV with DVD and video. French doors open onto the garden.
- Returning to the front door a door to the left takes one into an inner hall where there is a guest cloakroom with wash basin and w.c.
- There is a large hall cupboard for coats and boots
- A door from the hall leads to the large sitting room, where there are three sofas, coffee and occasional tables, armchairs and lamps. A large inglenook fireplace creates a wonderful focal point for the room
- A staircase from the sitting room leads to the first floor where there is
- A double bedded room with brass bedstead, bedside table and lamp, writing table and chair, chest with TV, and walk in cupboard with hanging space. From the cottage window there are lovely views over the garden
- An ensuite shower room with shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- A second staircase from the inner hall leads to the other bedrooms
- Master bedroom: The bedroom has a four poster bed, bedside lamps, small chest of drawers, dressing table and stool, and walk in cupboard with hanging space
- A door from the bedroom leads to the large ensuite bathroom which has a roll top bath with hand held shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- A light and airy corridor with side table and chairs leads to a second large bedroom
- Bedroom 2 has a double bed, bedside tables and lamps, dressing table and stool, chair, small wardrobe and small chest of drawers
- Bathroom with roll top bath and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- The porthole bedroom. Well photographed by many a visitor to Orford, this lovely room has a porthole window as well as cottage windows overlooking the coach house and down to the square. Arranged as a large single bedroom, there is a single bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers, chair, table with TV, DVD & VHS player and there is a large walk in cupboard with loads of hanging space.
- There can be few cottages in Suffolk with a more private garden. With the L shaped cottage and ancient brick wall surrounding it, the garden is both sheltered and sunny and completely enclosed by fencing, wall and a gate which can be locked. With lawns and well kept flower beds there is a further seating area, ideal for sun lovers (2 loungers provided) and a croquet set.
- A terraced area outside the dining room has a table and chairs, a wonderful spot for al fresco eating
- As for the children an arch of roses takes one through to a secret garden with rose bushes and shrubs and a garden shed where one might store bikes etc
- Both Catering and Activities can be arranged at or from your Suffolk Cottage property
- Oil central heating throughout and a large open fire in the sitting room (logs can be purchased from Orford General Stores) makes this house a great place to stay at any time of the year
- There is parking for one car in front of the coach house plus plenty of parking in the street and in Orford's market square for further cars
- Heating etc, bed linen and towels, 2 hairdryers included
- In consideration of other visitors smoking is not permitted in the house
- Broadband access for laptop owners
- A wifi hub is provided. Internet reception can be patchy in Orford so please don't rely on it for downloading games, films etc. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
Ideal centre, lots to do and see, friendly local people excellent places to eat, Oysterage for all things fishy, Riverside tea rooms for lobster or crab sandwiches, Crown & Castle for more up market stuff. The Pump House bakery for croissants, breads etc., coffee and snacks of a very high standard, if a bit pricey!Mrs Tamsin Beaumont - 14th August 2017
I just wanted to tell you how much we enjoyed our stay at this beautiful house....The house is full of character while at the same time providing all modern services. We hope to come back one day.A previous customer - 2nd September 2016
Feels a lot bigger and makes full use of the best of the sunshine without losing any of its privacy.A previous customer - 19th July 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Emma Crowhurst - Private Chef Private chef to cook your dinner
For a truly relaxing holiday, why not treat yourself to a private chef to cook for you. Bespoke dining experiences courtesy of local chef Emma Crowhurst
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.