Special Offers: Grab a Winter Bargain Break with 15% off stays during January & February at this lovely cosy Cottage
DescriptionOn Orford's pretty village green, halfway between the Quay and Orford's delightful church, this charming Grade II listed timber framed cottage has a lovely rear garden with shrubs, trees and two suntrap terraces, beyond which is a pretty hedged paddock - with lots of space for cars and boats.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9 km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17 km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19 km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42 km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22 km)
About the property: Located on the green on Quay Street, Orford, the cottage has all the ingredients for a perfect seaside holiday for the family or a small group of friends, large log burning stove and full central heating to warm you in winter and a lovely garden in which to relax in summer. From October 2016, Ruffles Cottage now has a high speed fibre wifi connection.
This property is ideal for: A great holiday, and, just 200 yards from Orford's attractive quay, with its constant attraction of small sailing crafts and yachts, and boat trips to Havergate Island and Orford Ness, there is lots to do and see whatever your age or interest.
Perhaps one of the most attractive coastal villages on the East coast, Orford retains both a fascinating 12th century castle and church. Well provided with village shop, a butchers, a fresh fish stall, craft shops, excellent restaurants and traditional pubs everything is on your doorstep.
On the banks of the Ore, Orford is protected from the sea by a fascinating shingle bank, Orford Ness, which runs from Aldeburgh to the sea. Accessible by ferry, Orford Ness is now managed by the National Trust; here you can find out about this strange and ever changing landscape, the many ground nesting and sea birds nesting here or trace the mysterious history of the area's war time occupation both for secret development of radar and munitions and in the defence of Britain. From Orford Quay one can take a boat trip to Havergate Island, the first RSPB reserve and home of the avocet.
Orford is within easy access of both Snape and theSnape Maltings Concert Hall and the seaside town of Aldeburgh, where the Aldeburgh Festival began life some fifty years ago.
The market town of Woodbridge is within half an hours drive along pleasant rural lanes and has plenty of interesting historic buildings, galleries, a quayside theatre and restaurant, a picturesque river walk and a great selection of pubs and tearooms.
Eating In: The Orford General Stores stocks almost everything and the staff are friendly and really helpful. Next door is the award winning Pump Street Bakery, with an amazing and tempting selection of pastries and artisan bread, made by hand, using traditional methods and natural ingredients. Alternatively, the nearest Waitrose and Tesco are 10 miles away in Saxmundham and will deliver to this address.
Eating out: There are two fine pubs - The King's Headand The Jolly Sailor- and two great restaurants - The Trinity at The Crown & Castle and The Butley Orford Oysterage- within 2 minutes walk of Ruffles Cottage. A short drive away, or cycle ride, is the village of Chillesford and The Froize Inn, which is rustic, charming and has an excellent menu.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guide Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The old oak front door leads into a good sized hall with coat hooks and loads of space for shoes, boots etc. A door from the hall leads to the ground floor cloakroom with w.c. and wash hand basin
- The lovely beamed sitting room retains its original fire place with log burning stove and built in log store. This really spacious room has been newly refurbished and includes two sofas, and matching arm chair, occasional chair, tables and lamps, 32" TV with built-in DVD, Sky Freeview, and small stereo system.
- The dining area has a large pine table and chairs and french doors open onto the pretty garden
- From the sitting room a door leads to the well equipped galley kitchen where there is a double sink, electric cooker, washing machine, iron and ironing board, dishwasher, microwave, fridge freezer. A door from the kitchen leads to the rear garden
- A cottage staircase with wooden hand rail leads to the first floor
- Overlooking Orford's village green this bedroom has twin beds, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers and large walk in cupboard with hanging space and plenty of room for cases etc.
- The double bedded room overlooks the garden and fields beyond, it has bedside tables and lamps, clothes hooks
- The beautiful beamed single bedroom has bedside table and lamp, clothes hooks and a chest of drawers. There is plenty of room for a travel cot
- The bathroom is tiny, but really well designed with full size bath with shower attachment, wash hand basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- To the front of the cottage is Orford's village green, to the rear a really beautiful garden with two terraced areas, ideal for al fresco eating, garden table and chairs, lawns and lovely shrub borders
- The garden is divided into two distinct areas, both of which are very private. There is a small paddock with ample parking and space for a boat and trailer
- There is a charcoal barbecue provided but please supply your own fuel.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- Bed linen, towels, heating etc are included. Please bring your own beach towels. There is one hair dryer.
- The cottage has full central heating supplemented by a lovely wood burning stove in the sitting room making the cottage ideal for self catering holidays at any time of the year
- Parking to rear of cottage for several cars and boat
- There is a telephone in the cottage for incoming and emergency calls
- From October 2016, Ruffles Cottage now has a high speed fibre wifi connection.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- There is a travel cot and high chair at the property. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it. There is also an iron and ironing board and hoover.
- A small supply of logs is provided for the log burning stove. Additional logs can be purchased at Friends Garage on Front Street, IP12 2LP.
“A lovely cottage in a quite fabulous village. The house was spotlessly clean and well-appointed. It also has a very large and beautiful garden. It is close to everything you want in the village, which has a brilliant shop, two great pubs and one of the best fish restaurants I know in the Butley Orford Oysterage. Orford is also really well placed for visiting lots of interesting places in Suffolk, and for walks. Couldn’t have been better. Would recommend to anyone.”Adam Gatehouse - 13th October 2018
The garden is outstanding, and we had everything we needed at this beautiful cottage and village. Ms Rachel Heron - 2nd July 2018
We have loved our week at Ruffles Cottage. Crabbing on the quay was a great success as was the boat trip on the River (we saw Seals) and a fantastic trip to Orfordness. The bakery is fabulous and we had great meals at the Crown & Castle, Jolly Sailor & Butley Orford Oysterage. The Cottage has been super, warm, comfy with a gorgeous garden. The perfect Easter Break! The Raven Family, London - 6th April 2018
Such a lovely cottage to spend New Year with our family. We enjoyed the Champagne - thankyou.Karen, Robert, Dylan & Alice Read - 2nd January 2018
We had a great stay. Loved the log burner and a perfect position to enjoy walks, cafes and relaxing. Thank youMrs Anna Mohammedbhai - 15th November 2017
A short visit to a lovely cottage. We've lost count of how many times we have been here! Thank you for the extras! We would recommend the bike hire from the garage. Good quiet cycling county.The Igoes - 30th October 2017
We LOVED our stay at Ruffles Cottage! Everything about the property was lovely-especially the back garden. Our weather was cool but we had a good amount of sun-- so it was very enjoyable to be outdoors for coffee in the mornings and drinks in the evening. Really nice to arrive to such a clean, cute,comfortable, and well-equipped cottage. We hadn't visited Orford for 10 years--so nice to see it still so beautiful and relaxing. Mrs Katherine Pomatti - 2nd August 2017
We had a lovely stay, especially enjoyed our time in the beautiful garden. Wonderful to see Orford unchanged since our last visit in 2006Kate & Tom Pomatti - 21st July 2017
Thanks again for another wonderful stay, our third now. We were lucky enough to have beautiful weather. The House and garden are as lovely as ever - and thanks again for the welcome gifts etc. We really hope we can stay again next summer.The Conways - 15th July 2017
Wonderful stay that we had. Very beautiful.Tilly, Clementine, Matt & Annabella - 30th June 2017
Thank you so much for a wonderful week in this warm, peaceful, clean comfortable cottage. We are very grateful for our lovely stay. We loved eating at the Oysterage and lots of lovely long walks with our children in the winter sun.Jees, James, Lia & Blake - 28th February 2017
A lovely, charming cottage. Kitchen well equipped, lovely garden.Paula N, Somerset - 14th April 2016
Had a fantastic stay in a 'gem' of a cottage in a picture postcard place... . Wouldn't have changed a thing.The Murphys - 9th February 2016
Our third visit to Ruffles and the cottage is as warm and comfortable as ever.The Panters - 29th December 2015
We arrived at the cottage and immediately felt relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the week. Perfect position, plenty of space, clean and tidy and the garden too.John S, Worcestershire - 22nd August 2015
We loved the cottage and our stay in Orford and we will definitely be back in Ruffles next year.The Perrys - 11th May 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price