DescriptionHidden behind an old high brick wall, this charming property in the very centre of Orford is perfectly positioned. The market square, with its fine bakery, general store, restaurants and pub, is just a few strides in one direction, Orford Castle, the estuary and the sea in the other. See the Daily Telegraph's recent review.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
The Property: Wing Cottage was fully refurbished in 2013 and already 30% of guests have made a second booking.
With sumptuous bedrooms, spacious bathrooms (an en suite with large walk in shower to the bedroom with king sized bed, and a large family bathroom with bath and separate large walk in shower) and elegant landing, Wing Cottage has been designed with absolute comfort and relaxation in mind. Downstairs the living area is open plan with a superbly finished kitchen with breakfast bar, large dining area and sitting room with log burning stove and door to the garden. There is a nice separate study if you have to do some work. All fittings are new and every effort has been taken to make life easy. Farrow and Ball paintwork, Jim Lawrence lamps, some great quirky individual pieces to amuse, and furniture designed for comfort is a priority throughout.
The Grounds: A large and very private garden created over many years and containing some fine planting is enclosed by an old red brick wall and handmade Brampton Willow Fence (stunning). Hot tub hire available at Wing Cottage
Wing Cottage must have some of the finest views of any Orford village house. From the house you can see the estuary and the sea, from the garden there are uninterrupted and close up views of Orford Castle. There is a terrace with table and chairs and parasol, a large lawned area and a long private drive with parking for 2 cars. Entirely fenced, the garden is great for children who want to play outside.
Sleeps 4: In one king and 2 zip and link singles/super king - do remember to state which you prefer before your holiday.
This property is ideal for: With two bathrooms Wing Cottage would be great for one or two couples who want to make the most of the fantastic facilities of Orford (see Eating Out) or a couple with children (young or teenage) and with cot, high chair, baby changing mat, baby bath, bottle sterilizer, safety bedsides for a single bed and stair gate all provided - parents with toddlers or babies will be able to pack the car with ease! Do bring own bedding for the cot.
Minimum hire: Three nights; except in high season when it is a week. Friday changeover in High Season.
No smoking, no pets.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at Wing Cottage. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day, whilst Brinkleys fresh fish shed by Orford quay is the place to buy freshly caught fish - great on the bbq!
There is Orford General Stores stocking all the essentials and more, the staff are friendly and really helpful - just what you need on holiday. The smell of fresh-baked bread drifting on the breeze from just across the road will surely lead you to the excellent Pump Street Bakery, purveyors of fantastic artisan bread, made by hand, using traditional methods and natural ingredients.
Entertainment: The Property includes TV and DVD player, iPod dock, CD player/radio, DVDs and games as well as an eclectic library of books.
Eating out: The Butley Orford Oysterage. The Butley Orford Oysterage, in Orford's pretty Market Hill, was opened by the Pinney family forty years ago and remains a family business. In a relaxed bistro atmosphere, they serve fish and seafood caught daily from their boats and smoked fish from their smokehouse in Butley Creek.
The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by broadcaster and presenter, Ruth Watson, the Crown and Castle has an excellent lively restaurant which has 2 AA rosettes and a Michelin bib gourmand in recognition of its excellent, locally sourced food.
The Jolly Sailor The Jolly sailor is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and offers good local, freshly cooked produce. It has a garden overlooking the marshes and the estuary, with climbing frame etc so is just the ticket if you want to take the children out for a meal - the fish and chips are great.
The Kings Head This historic 13th Century pub combines all the atmosphere of a traditional inn with great real ales, classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu.
Come and enjoy Wing Cottage, and next time bring the whole family and book Castle House as well! For more information on the local area, please see our online guide, Visit Orford.
- Hot tub
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
Front door leads to hall with door to inner hall with coat hooks and boot rack
- The sitting room, dining room and kitchen are open plan
- The sitting room has two sofas, easy chair, coffee tables, lamps and log burning stove. Smart TV, with 3D, has a full free view package and is Sky ready (holidaymakers may bring their own Sky box in order to watch their full choice of Sky channels).
- The dining room has a dining table and four chairs (two further chairs are available) and sideboard. Integrated iPod dock, radio and cd player. Breakfast bar with stools.
- Fully fitted kitchen with hob and electric oven, cooker hood, dishwasher, fridge and freezer, toaster, microwave, kettle and Nespresso coffee machine, food processor, water softener
- Laundry room with washing machine and tumble dryer, iron and ironing board
- Study with table and chair, wi fi and bookcase with novels and local interest books, local guides, a selection of DVDs etc
A wide staircase with bannister leads to the 1st floor
- Bedroom 1: A king sized bed, bedside tables, large walk-in hanging cupboard, chest of drawers, wall mirror, armchair and occasional table, hairdryer. There is a TV point and an upstairs TV with full free view package. The en-suite shower room includes a large walk in shower with rain forest shower and hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 2: Zip and link single beds - holidaymakers can choose to have the beds made up as a super king or two singles (please state your preference at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, large wardrobe, armchair and occasional table, hairdryer. a TV with full free view package and DVD
- There is a separate w.c. with wash basin
- Family bathroom with bath, large walk in shower with rain forest shower and hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail and underfloor heating
- There is a large private garden with terrace with all table and 6 chairs, parasol and gas bbq. The remainder of the garden includes a large lawned area, planted borders with shrubs, herbs and cottage planting. A path leads down from the garden to the drive where there is turning space and parking for 2 cars.
- Electric radiators throughout; log burning stove in the sitting room (a supply of logs is provided)
- Non-allergic duvets and pillows, 600 TC bed linen and luxury towels provided. Please bring your own beach towels
- Fibre optic unlimited Wifi provided.
- Private parking in the drive
- In consideration of other holidaymakers please do not smoke in the house
- Travel cot, high chair, changing mat, baby bath, bottle steriliser, baby alarm, bed sides for toddler, fitted stair gate provided at top of stairs Please bring own bedding for the travel cot
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note several rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal written by local author (and Cambridge graduate) Lucy Stone and illustrated by Jenny Duke (Cambridge School of Art), for the children (and parents or grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
Excellent accommodation, very well situated to visit the county of Suffolk. Excellent service, execellent accomodation, beautiful part of England, would recommend this area for a very relaxing stay.Mr David Paterson - 8th July 2018
House was lovely. Thank you for helping to ensure grand daughter's very own Sammy Seal toy and book in place at the house for when we arrived. We would like to re visit this particular house again but there are so many other options with your company that we may be tempted by a different property from you next summer.Mrs Thelma Bell - 19th July 2017
The location and the accommodation were first class and I would rate it very highly indeed; 5 starsScott P, Buckinghamshire - 8th August 2016
Had the most wonderful stay in a beautiful house. The quality of Wing Cottage will be extremely hard to beat.Joanne R, Norfolk - 12th March 2016
A truly memorable holiday. We have stayed in many cottages in Suffolk and Norfolk, but without doubt Wing Cottage is now top of our list of self-catering homes from home.Maria C, Guildford - 29th December 2015
We have enjoyed our return visit to Wing Cottage. Â All very comfortable and well equipped. Â Good weather and we were able to enjoy the garden.Rodger & Heather W, Wiltshire - 28th May 2015
Wing Cottage surpassed our expectations. Â Extremely well equipped and designed with a real designer's eye, it has been a great base for exploring the local area.Paul and Joyce T, Kent - 24th April 2015
We absolutely loved Wing Cottage - it is definitely one of the very best properties we have stayed in (Suffolk and Norfolk) and we will stay again soon.Marie C, Surrey - 11th August 2014
Tomorrow we leave Wing Cottage and would like to say thank you for another wonderful 10 days.Irene H, London - 28th July 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price