- £790 per week
- £113 per night
- 6 Guests
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Pet
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- 4 single beds
- 2 bathrooms
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Open fire or woodburner
- Games room
- Swimming pool
- Sea or coastal views
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Enclosed garden
- Private parking
- Ground floor bedroom
Situated on a small farm (ponies and grazing), Barn Owl looks out over to Orford on the Suffolk coast, midway between Woodbridge and Orford. Completely reconfigured from an old farm barn, Barn Owl has been transformed into a stunning three bedroom property with magnificent views of the sea over the Ore estuary and all mod cons for summer or winter visits.
ALDEBURGH 17.6 miles (28 km), ORFORD 11 miles (18.2 km), WOODBRIDGE 9 miles (14.5 km)
Converted in 2014/5, Barn Owl has been furnished to make the very most of its magnificent views of the sea over the Ore estuary and is equally suitable for families with youngsters or adult parties planning bird watching, star gazing, fishing, windsurfing or sailing.
There is a large lobby with plenty of space for outdoor kit, pushchairs and walking boots, golf clubs and wellies. A door opens into the large open plan living area which includes a fully fitted kitchen with all mod cons, dining table and chairs and sitting room with two sofas, coffee table and log burning stove. There is a bedroom on the ground floor with two singles, perfect for adults or children. Three steps lead to another twin bedroom, family bathroom and master bedroom with sea views and en suite shower room.
From May to October, an outdoor plunge pool that is circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, can be accessed by an enclosed decked area with steps leading down into the pool. Heated for the summer months, by solar power, it is perfect for a relaxing dip.
Hot tub hire available by prior arrangement with the owners via a third party. Please enquire at the time of booking and please note that extra charges will apply.
For larger groups, Barn Owl can also be rented in conjunction with the neighbouring property to sleep 10. See The Owls at Oxley here.
Outside: Large glass doors open from the sitting room with steps down to a garden area below. The views from the sitting room and deck are outstanding, looking out along the coast to Orford. A covered games barn with various activities, including table tennis, will be available to use.
Shingle Street has just a couple of dozen cottages, a Napoleonic Martello tower and a former coastguard station. Having passed the houses, the road ends at the edge of the beach where there is a small parking area. Beyond the road is a series of paths, one of which takes one down the coast to Bawdsey and the foot ferry connection to Felixstowe Ferry. At the other end of Shingle Street the footpath leads in the direction of Orford, this time following the river bank of the Alde and Ore past Boyton and Chillesford, some wonderful saltings on the way. If you want to cut the corner you can take the Butley to Orford foot ferry (it's a rowing boat) which takes walkers and cyclists across the Butley River to Gedgrave from where you can walk to Orford.
The road itself meanders inland to Hollesley where there is a good local shop, garage and pub, The Shepherd and Dog (1.5 miles).
Despite the fact that London is less than 100 miles away, Shingle Street has a real sense of remoteness - it is truly a wonderful spot. With miles of shingle beach peppered with amazing wild flowers, you can watch the ground nesting birds and the seals basking on the far side of the estuary entrance, particularly in the winter and late summer. Shingle Street is loved by wind surfers, sailboarders, walkers, cyclists, fishermen and bird watchers alike.
Eating Out: The nearest pub is The Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley, with a good selection of straight forward pub food as well as the usual beers, wines etc.. The Swan in Alderton is around 2.5 miles away and serves lovely posh nosh. The Sorrell Horse Inn is a delightful pub, just 15 minutes drive away in the pretty village of Shottisham; a traditional Suffolk pub, serving real cask ales, simple fresh food and a very warm welcome (wi-fi available).
The market town of Woodbridge has an abundance of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes and is only 20 minutes by car. The Anchor has an interesting menu and usually includes an excellent authentic Malaysian dish. There are also two fine Indian restaurants, The Shapla and The Royal Bengal, as well as a Prezzo and a popular Chinese restaurant, all within easy walking distance of the Quay Point car park.
Self Catering: Grocery deliveries are available from the major supermarkets and there is a good village shop in Hollesley with all essential provisions including locally grown fruit and veg along with a Post Office. There is also a good village shop in Alderton, a five minute drive away. There are plenty of farm shops selling locally sourced produce, scattered across the Suffolk countryside, Five Winds Butchers at Melton is excellent, supplied from a local farm, and Woodbridge has a high street supermarket as well as independent grocery stores and award winning bakers.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guides Visit Woodbridge and Visit Orford. Recently published is Life on the Edge: A Brief History of Shingle Street by Tim Miller. You can find out more about this publication here.
Barn Owl Interior
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. A door leads to
- The living room with fully fitted well equipped, open plan kitchen with dishwasher, fridge and freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, 4 slice toaster, microwave, decorative plate rack and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and six chairs. The sitting room has both a 3 seater sofa and 2 seater sofa, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside table and lamp, small wardrobe with hangers and drawers and desk with chest of drawers. Black out blinds are fitted at the window for light sleepers.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access further bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Family bathroom with slate effect floor, bath with hand held shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside chest of drawers with lamp, dressing table with mirror and drawers, coat stand with hangers, window dressing includes black out blinds
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, dressing table with drawers, large walk in cupboard. The en suite shower room includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail. There is a hairdryer.
- There is a large outside area to the seaward side of the property, reached via French doors from the sitting room, with table and chairs, parasol etc. Steps lead down to a small area of garden with grass and some planting where there is a bbq and further west facing seating area for evening dining. A gate leads from the garden to a lovely avenue of trees which then leads to a field with grazing and large pond. Ponies occupy the meadows in front of this, beyond lies the beach and the sea.
- One of the old farm barns has been converted into a laundry room (shared with Little Owl and proprietors) where there are two washing machines, a tumble dryer, and a double stainless steel sink. There is plenty of storage space here for bikes whilst large lockable storage boxes have been built where you can store sailing, kiting, riding and fishing equipment.
- There is off road parking for at least 3 cars. Further space can be made available on request for dinghies, RIBs or horse boxes.
- Children will love seeing the horses and sheep on site. Oxley Dairy is a working farm, sadly now without a dairy.
- A covered games barn with lots of activities, including table tennis is available.
- Outdoor plunge pool facing the sea. Circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, the pool will be heated for summer use. Surrounded by decking and with steps down into the pool. Perfect for cooling off on long summer days. Hot tub hire is available by prior arrangement with the owner via a third party. Please enquire at the time of booking and please note that extra charges will apply.
- Please note that there are a couple of Barn Cats at Oxley Dairy, please watch that they do not get into the properties and do not allow children to stroke. Thank you.
- There is underfloor heating throughout the barn. A basket of logs and kindling are provided for the log burning stove. Fuel for the barbecue is also provided, but guests are encouraged to bring their own charcoal as an addition.
- Bed linen and towels for the barn are provided. Please bring your own swimming, dog and hot tub towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the barn or close to the building.
- Unlimited wi fi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can be slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for downloading films or games etc.
- Barn Owl is a semi-detached property. The adjoining property, Little Owl, Oxley Dairy Farm sleeps 4 and is available to rent from Suffolk Cottage Holidays. Both properties are completely private and are separate from the farm house and working farm.
- There is an iron, ironing board and clothes airer, as well as two washing machines and a tumble dryer.
Peaceful , comfortable ,well kept ,clean ,parking outside all facilities situated central close to walks drives to many beaches and quality neighbourhood lovely extra large double bed will definitely be back
Super design, wonderful views. Certainly one of the nicest places we've rented - so we will be back! Many thanks.