- £750 per week
- £107 per night
- 6 Guests
- 3 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 1 Pet
- Private Parking
- Pony trekking/horse riding
- Open fire or woodburner
- Games room
- Swimming pool
- Sea or coastal views
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 king/super-king bed
- 2 single beds
- 1 bunk bed
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- 3 bathrooms
- 3 WCs
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Garden, courtyard or patio
- Enclosed garden
- Outdoor storage
- Private parking
Important - Please note
- Check in: 3.00 pm
- Check out: 10.00 am
Midway between Woodbridge and Orford, Little Owl and The Owl Box are brilliantly situated on a small rise looking out over the beach at Shingle Street on the Suffolk coast. Once an old farm barn, Little Owl has been transformed into a beautiful two bedroom, two bathroom property with exceptional views over the farm fields (where sheep and ponies graze), towards the Ore estuary and the sea. With all mod cons for summer (swimming pool) or winter visits (log fire and covered games room). This idyllic location suits both families with youngsters or adult parties, with its brilliant setting being perfect for bird watching, star gazing, fishing, wind surfing or sailing!
Two steps lead you to the large lobby, where there is plenty of space for outdoor kit, pushchairs and walking boots, golf clubs and wellies. Another step up and the door opens into a large open plan living area which includes a fully fitted kitchen with all mod cons, dining table and chairs and sitting room with two sofas, coffee table and log burning stove. Three steps lead to a twin bedroom, family bathroom and master bedroom with sea views and en suite shower room.
In Autumn 2018, the owners have also converted a Drover's Hut called The Owl Box. The Owl Box, with gently ramped access, is nestled amongst the trees in the garden of Little Owl. This single level hut built on a sturdy trailer base provides modern over-spill accommodation for studying teens or adults. Comprising of a living/sleeping area and shower room, The Owl Box has a separate access yet glimpses of it can still be seen from over the hedging from the decking outside Little Owl. Use of The Owl Box is included in the rental price.
From July to September, an outdoor plunge pool that is circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, can be accessed by an enclosed decked area with steps leading down into the pool. Heated for the summer months, by solar power, it is perfect for a relaxing dip.
For larger groups, Little Owl and The Owl Box can also be rented in conjunction with the neighbouring property to sleep 12. See The Owls at Oxley here.
Open up the large glass doors from the sitting room in Little Owl onto a spacious sun deck, with steps down to a small grass area below. The views from the sitting room in both Little Owl and The Old Box are outstanding, looking out along the coast to Orford. Directly below the garden is a gated paddock with large pond beyond, which is a grazing meadow with ponies.
A covered games barn with various activities, including table tennis, will be available to use.
Little Owl and The Owl Box has uninterrupted views of the coast to Orford and the entrance to the river Alde, a perfect coastal spot.
The beach at Shingle Street is less than 10 minutes walk away from the barn, just a couple of dozen cottages line the beach, along with a Napoleonic Martello tower and a former coastguard station.
Pass the houses to find the road ends at the edge of the beach where there is a small parking area. Beyond the road is a series of paths worth exploring, one of which takes one down the coast to Bawdsey and the foot ferry connection to Felixstowe Ferry. At the other end of Shingle Street the footpath leads in the direction of Orford, this time following the river bank of the Alde and Ore past Boyton and Chillesford, some wonderful saltings on the way. If you want to cut the corner you can take the Butley to Orford foot ferry (it's a rowing boat) which takes walkers and cyclists across the Butley River to Gedgrave from there you can walk to Orford.
The road itself meanders inland to Hollesley where there is a good local shop, service garage and pub The Shepherd and Dog (1.5 miles).
Despite the fact that London is less than 100 miles away, Shingle Street has a real sense of remoteness. With miles of shingle beach peppered with amazing wild flowers, you can watch the ground nesting birds and the seals basking on the far side of the estuary entrance particularly in the winter and late summer. Shingle Street is loved by wind surfers, sailboarders, walkers, cyclists, fishermen and bird watchers.
The nearest pub is The Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley, a good selection of straight forward pub food with a take away option as well as the usual beers, wines etc. The Swan, in Alderton is around 2.5 miles away and serves lovely posh nosh. The Sorrell Horse Inn is a delightful pub, just 15 minutes drive away in the pretty village of Shottisham, a traditional Suffolk pub, serving real cask ales, simple fresh food and a very warm welcome (wi-fi available).
The market town of Woodbridge has an abundance of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes and is only 20 minutes by car. The Anchor has an interesting menu and usually includes an excellent authentic Malaysian dish. There are also two fine Indian restaurants, The Shapla and The Royal Bengal, Prezzo, and a popular Chinese restaurant all within easy walking distance of the Quay Point car park.
Grocery deliveries are available from the major supermarkets and there is a good village shop in Hollesley with all essential provisions including locally grown local fruit and veg along with a Post Office. There is also a good village shop in Alderton, a five minute drive away. There are plenty of farm shops selling locally sourced produce, scattered across the Suffolk countryside, Five Winds Butchers at Melton is excellent, supplied from a local farm, and Woodbridge has a supermarket as well as independent grocery stores and award winning bakers.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guides Visit Woodbridge and Visit Orford. Recently published is Life on the Edge: A Brief History of Shingle Street by Tim Miller. You can find out more about this publication here.
*Click here to see the stages of the Barns at Oxley Dairy construction on our Plans to Property Pinterest board*
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. Another step up and door leads to
- An open plan living room with fully fitted well equipped kitchen, with dishwasher, full height fridge-freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, toaster, microwave, and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and chairs for 4. The sitting room has two 2 seater sofas, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. The room is adorned by artwork by local photographer, Catherine Lindsay-Davies. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access the bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, a large mirror, a desk, drawers, a clothes hanger, and bedside table with lamp.
- Family bathroom with bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, desk, built in wardrobe and large mirror, with an en suite shower room. En suite includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
The Owl Box (sleeps 2)
- Nestled on the edge of Little Owl garden in amongst the trees, stands The Owl Box with a gently ramped access. This single level hut built on a sturdy trailer base provides modern over-spill accommodation for studying teens or adults. Complete with bunk beds, shower/WC, kitchenette area with microwave and a sitting/dining space – this hideaway is perfect for those wishing to break free from the rest of the family. With views overlooking the marshes, the hut is totally self-contained but still visible from Little Owl.
- There is an outside area to the seaward side of the property, reached via French doors from the sitting room. Steps lead down to a small area of garden with grass and some planting where there is a bbq. There is a picnic table with bench style seating. A gate leads from the garden to a lovely avenue of trees which then leads to a field with grazing and large pond. Ponies occupy the meadows in front of this, beyond lies the beach and the sea.
- One of the old farm barns has been converted into a laundry room (shared with Barn Owl and proprietors) where there are two washing machines, a tumble dryer, and a double stainless steel sink. There is plenty of storage space here for bikes whilst large lockable storage boxes have been built where you can store sailing, kiting, riding and fishing equipment.
- There is off road parking for at least 2 cars. Further space can be made available on request for dinghies, RIBs or horse boxes.
- Children will love seeing the horses and sheep on site. Oxley Dairy is a working farm, sadly now without a dairy.
- A covered games barn with lots of activities, including table tennis is available.
- *From 22 July 2016* an outdoor plunge pool facing the sea will be available. Circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, the pool will be heated for summer use. Surrounded by decking and with steps down into the pool. Perfect for cooling off on long summer days.
- Please note that there are a couple of Barn Cats at Oxley Dairy, please watch that they do not get into the properties and do not allow children to stroke. Thank you.
- There is underfloor heating throughout the barn. A basket of logs and kindling are provided for the log burning stove. Fuel for the barbecue is also provided.
- Bed linen and towels for the barn are provided. Please bring your own swimming, dog and hot tub towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the barn or close to the building.
- Unlimited wifi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can be slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for downloading films or games etc.
- Little Owl is a semi-detached property. The adjoining property, Barn Owl, Oxley Dairy Farm, sleeps 5 and is also available to rent from Suffolk Cottage Holidays. Both properties are completely private and are separate from the farm house and working farm.
- There is an iron, ironing board and clothes airer, as well as two washing machines and a tumble dryer.