Situated on a small rise overlooking the Suffolk coast and the sea at Shingle Street, The Owls at Oxley are midway between the popular coastal towns of Woodbridge and Orford. Previously an old farm barn, The Owls have been converted into two semi detached properties (Barn Owl & Little Owl), that are linked through the gardens, with all the mod cons for a stress free holiday at any time of the year, including Hot Tub hire. With a communal dining area and games barn available as well as coastal walks on your doorstep, there is plenty to do for all ages.
ALDEBURGH 17.6 miles (28 km), ORFORD 11 miles (18.2 km), WOODBRIDGE 9 miles (14.5 km)
About the Property: Having been completely converted from a farm barn in the last 18 months, The Owls have been designed with the holidaymaker's needs and wishes in mind. Aligned to capture the very best of the stunning views of the sea and the Ore estuary you could not find a more idyllic location. Suiting all ages, The Owls provides the perfect place for bird watching, stargazing, kite surfing, fishing or sailing! Storage for equipment has been thoroughly thought out, with plenty of space in both the lobby and outdoor barn for anything from pushchairs to bikes, sailing equipment to surfboards. For those not feeling as energetic, simply watch the sunset from the large glass doors as you enjoy a quiet evening by the fire.
The Owls are ideal for those who may struggle with a whole staircase as Barn Owl also has the advantage of a ground floor bedroom. Both barns have an open plan layout, with a separate raised sleeping area. Large family parties will love the addition of the outdoor communal dining barn, complete with games room containing a table tennis and table football set.
From July to September, an outdoor plunge pool that is circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, can be accessed by an enclosed decked area with steps leading down into the pool. Heated for the summer months, by solar power, it is perfect for a relaxing dip.
Outside: Large glass doors to the rear of both barns open out onto separate decks with steps down onto private grass areas. The views are breathtaking; stand and look out along the coast to Orford and the entrance to the river Alde. A superb coastal spot. To the bottom of the garden is a gated paddock with large pond, used as a grazing meadow for ponies.
Step outside and walk less than 10 minutes to the beach at Shingle Street. Lined with just a dozen cottages, a Napoleonic Martello Tower and a former coastguard station, it really does feel like a secret escape, despite being less than 100 miles from London. A popular area for kite surfers, fishermen and walkers, take your camera and photograph some of the beautiful wildlife including ground nesting birds and seals who bask on the far side of the estuary entrance particularly in late summer and winter.
Exploring: To really explore the area take a walk and pass the houses at Shingle Street to find the road ending at the edge of the beach with a small parking area. Beyond the road is a series of paths worth exploring, one of which takes one down the coast to Bawdsey and the foot ferry connection to Felixstowe Ferry. At the other end of Shingle Street the footpath leads in the direction of Orford, this time following the river bank of the Alde and Ore past Boyton and Chillesford, some wonderful saltings on the way. If you want to cut the corner you can take the Butley to Orford foot ferry (it's a rowing boat) which takes walkers and cyclists across the Butley River to Gedgrave from there you can walk to Orford.The road itself meanders inland to Hollesley where there is a good local shop, garage and pub The Shepherd and Dog (1.5 miles).
Eating Out: The nearest pub is The Shepherd and Dog in Hollesley, a good selection of straight forward pub food with a take away option as well as the usual beers, wines etc. The Swan in Alderton is around 2.5 miles away and serves lovely posh nosh. The Sorrell Horse Inn is a delightful pub, just 15 minutes drive away in the pretty village of Shottisham, a traditional Suffolk pub, serving real cask ales, simple fresh food and a very warm welcome (wi-fi available).
The market town of Woodbridge has an abundance of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes and is only 20 minutes by car. The Anchor has an interesting menu and usually includes an excellent authentic Malaysian dish. There are also two fine Indian restaurants, The Shapla and The Royal Bengal, Prezzo, and a popular Chinese restaurant all within easy walking distance of the Quay Point car park.
Self Catering: Grocery deliveries are available from the major supermarkets and there is a good village shop in Hollesley with all essential provisions including locally grown local fruit and veg along with a Post Office. There is also a good village shop in Alderton, a five minute drive away. There are plenty of farm shops selling locally sourced produce, scattered across the Suffolk countryside, Five Winds Butchers at Melton is excellent, supplied from a local farm, and Woodbridge has a high street supermarket as well as independent grocery stores and award winning bakers.
For lots of information on the area please look at our own online guides Visit Woodbridge and Visit Orford. Recently published is Life on the Edge: A Brief History of Shingle Street by Tim Miller. You can find out more about this publication here.
*Click here to see the stages of The Owls at Oxley construction on our Plans to Property Pinterest board*
- Hot tub
- Sleeps 10
- Swimming pool
- 5 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- 2 Well-behaved pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 3.4 miles
- Nearest pub 0.9 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bedroom
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. A door leads to
- The living room with fully fitted well equipped, open plan kitchen with dishwasher, fridge and freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, 4 slice toaster, microwave, decorative plate rack and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and six chairs. The sitting room has both a 3 seater sofa and 2 seater sofa, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Small twin bedroom with full sized single bed and pull out single bed, bedside table and lamp, small wardrobe with hangers and drawers and desk with chest of drawers. Black out blinds are fitted at the window for light sleepers.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access further bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Family bathroom with slate effect floor, bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, bedside chest of drawers with lamp, dressing table with mirror and drawers, coat stand with hangers, window dressing includes black out blinds
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, dressing table with drawers, large walk in cupboard. The en suite shower room includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail. There is a hairdryer.
- Two steps lead to the front door which leads into a spacious hall with plenty of hooks for coats, box seat with storage for outdoor wear, space for shoes and boots, pushchairs and golf clubs. Another step up and door leads to
- An open plan living room with fully fitted well equipped kitchen, with dishwasher, full height fridge-freezer, electric hob and separate oven, plenty of cupboard space, kettle, toaster, microwave, and display cabinets. The dining area includes a dining table and chairs for 4. The sitting room has two 2 seater sofas, coffee table, flat screen HD TV and log burning stove. The room is adorned by artwork by local photographer, Catherine Lindsay-Davies. Large french doors open out to a garden area.
- Three steps lead up to a further carpeted hall from which you access the bedrooms and the family bathroom
- Twin bedroom with two full sized single beds, a large mirror, a desk, drawers, a clothes hanger, and bedside table with lamp.
- Family bathroom with bath with overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- The master bedroom has a king sized double bed, desk, built in wardrobe and large mirror, with an en suite shower room. En suite includes a large shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- There is a large outside area to the seaward side of the barns, reached via French doors from the sitting room in both properties, with table and chairs, parasol etc. Steps lead down to a small area of garden with grass and some planting where there is a bbq and further west facing seating area for evening dining. There is a connecting gate between both gardens. A gate leads from the garden to a lovely avenue of trees which then leads to a field with grazing and large pond. Ponies occupy the meadows in front of this, beyond lies the beach and the sea.
- One of the old farm barns has been converted into a laundry room where there are two washing machines, a tumble dryer, and a double stainless steel sink. There is plenty of storage space here for bikes whilst large lockable storage boxes have been built where you can store sailing, kiting, riding and fishing equipment.
- There is off road parking for at least 4 cars. Further space can be made available on request for dinghies, RIBs or horse boxes.
- Children will love seeing the horses and sheep on site. Oxley Dairy is a working farm, sadly now without a dairy.
- A covered games barn with lots of activities, including table tennis, table football and a small pool table is available. This barn also contains a communal dining area with seating for 10 (please note that food must be cooked in the Owls i.e. Kitchen or BBQ).
- *From 22 July 2016* an outdoor plunge pool facing the sea will be available. Circular and measuring 1.3 metres deep, the pool will be heated for summer use. Surrounded by decking and with steps down into the pool. Perfect for cooling off on long summer days.
- Please note that there are a couple of Barn Cats at Oxley Dairy, please watch that they do not get into the properties and do not allow children to stroke. Thank you.
- There is underfloor heating throughout both barns. A basket of logs and kindling are provided for the log burning stove. Fuel for the barbecue is also provided, but guests are encouraged to bring their own charcoal as an addition.
- Bed linen and towels for the barn are provided. Please bring your own swimming, dog and hot tub towels.
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the barns or close to the buildings.
- Unlimited wi fi provided. Please note internet speeds in Suffolk can be slow and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for downloading films or games etc
- Both properties are completely private and are separate from the farm house and working farm.
- There is an iron, ironing board and clothes airer, as well as two washing machines and a tumble dryer.
A massive thank you for allowing us all to stay and enjoy your beautiful barns, we had an amazing time and felt at home and relaxed. - 30th January 2017
It was an ideal base. But if you just wanted to relax, it was a peaceful location.Susan P, Surrey - 19th October 2016
Beautifully appointed property which was furnished to a very high standard in a fabulously tranquil location.Melanie M, Northamptonshire - 18th September 2015
We had the most fantastic weekend. The ownersÂ are so welcoming and on hand for whatever you need.Â The cottage facilities are amazing for our family of 6 it ticked all the boxes.Â We will be back!!A previous customer - 8th June 2015
With two small children (and a dog!) we've had a lovely holiday at The Owls. There is so much to discover in this unspoilt part of Suffolk including the local forest trails, cycling on the country lanes and a lovely coastline. The property itself is extremely well appointed with uninterrupted views to the sea. Â We would highly recommend it.A previous customer - 12th April 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...