DescriptionIn the heart of the countryside just a couple of miles from the sea, this superb, newly converted barn with outside terrace and first floor balcony is surrounded by 3,000 acres of ancient heathland, conservation farmland, woods and meadows. The perfect combination of coast and countryside, Sewell Barn is perfect for a romantic retreat or a relaxing break for one.
WOODBRIDGE 7 miles (11 km), ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), ALDEBURGH 23 miles (37 km)
Style: A traditional Suffolk barn, totally refurbished in 2010 to create a really spacious and upmarket holiday cottage.
Setting: In the midst of the Broxtead Estate, Sutton, Suffolk, United Kingdom.
Grounds: Sewell Barn and its neighbours, Vancouver Barn and Brand Barn, are surrounded by a communal lawned area. Beyond this is an area of grassland with woodland and a number of open Suffolk barns; enjoy access to a table tennis area as well as plenty of space for storing bikes, dinghy etc. And now for the wow factor - Sewell Barn is set amidst 3,000 acres of meadows, forests and ancient heathland.
Rarely visited by the public, you can ramble to your heart's content. Much of the estate (around 2,000 acres) is managed for the rare heathland flora and fauna, and the Suffolk Wildlife Trust has reintroduced sheep to the heathland to maintain the perfect breeding ground for rare birds such as nightjar and woodlark. Here you might see the silver studded blue butterfly, and hear, if not see, the nightingales singing to their mates in the stillness of a spring night. A rare and fascinating landscape for birdwatchers and naturalists, it is a great area for walking. Just a couple of miles from the Deben estuary and Sutton Hoo, the coast is also close by.
Sleeps: 2 (and a baby).
Ideal for: Those who want to explore a rare and wonderful landscape, walkers, cyclists, horse riders and anyone wishing to learn the art of carriage driving.
Nearby: National Trust properties include Sutton Hoo, Orford Nessand Dunwich Heath. Close to the sea, you can enjoy boat rides, swimming and sailing. You can drive to the ancient market town of Woodbridge in around 12 minutes. On the Deben River both the waterside area and the town are fascinating places to visit.
Eating and Drinking: The nearest pub is The Sorrel House in Shottisham (around a 15 minute walk). Woodbridge has a fantastic selection of coffee shops, restaurants and pubs including The Crown, The Riverside, The Galley, The Table and The East Coast Diner - all are very good. There are some great pubs, many of which sell the local Adnams beer. Many of the shops sell excellent seasonal local produce and of course the fish is fresh (you are just a couple of miles from the sea, after all!).
For much more information on the area, please see our comprehensive guide to the area, Visit Woodbridge.
Packing tips: Beachwear and Wellington boots, walking shoes and binoculars, cycle wear and riding hat. Don't forget the bikes!
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 5.8 miles
- Nearest pub 0.8 mile
- 5.8 miles from the coast
- A stable door opens into the living area. The ground floor is open plan and extremely spacious for 2 people
- The sitting room area has a sofa, arm chairs, occasional tables, lamps and unit with flat screen TV, DVD and freeview & Radio. French doors from the sitting room lead out to a patio with table & two chairs
- The dining area has a dining table and four chairs and side table
- The kitchen is fully fitted with built in fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine/tumble dryer, dishwasher, electric hob and built in oven.
- The ground floor is heated by underfloor central heating
- The entire first floor is made over to the bedroom and bathroom.
- The double bedroom has a king sized double bed, bedside cabinets with lamps, a large wardrobe and dressing table, a chest of drawers and two Lloyd Loom chairs.
- A door from the bedroom leads out to a small balcony.
- The en-suite bathroom has a roll top bath with hand held shower, wash basin with Shaver point, w.c. and heated towel rail
- French doors from the sitting room lead out to a terrace with table and chairs. Beyond this is a large area of lawn extending round the three barns which make up Vale Farm Barns
- Beyond the garden is a wooded area and 3,000 acres of heathland, meadows and arable farm - with numerous walks and bridle paths.
- There is a large gravelled parking area close to the barn
- Bicycles can be stored in the open cart lodge close to the barn
- The cottage has central heating throughout, underfloor heating on the ground floor and radiators on the first floor
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the barn
- Wifi is provided.
- Nearest Pub -The Sorrell Horse, Shottisham Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
Quite a responsibility being the first guests at Sewell Barn and making the first entry in the Visitors' Book! Our stay here has passed all our expectations, and the barn has been superbly converted to provide luxurious accommodation. We can only congratulate the owners on the fantastic job they have done, and we shall not hesitate to return here in the future.Maureen S, Willerby - 8th August 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price