- £840 per week
- £120 per night
- 6 Guests
- 3 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- No Pets
- Open fire or woodburner
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 2 king/super-king beds
- 2 single beds
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- 3 bathrooms
- Towels provided
- En-suite bathroom
- Family friendly
- Ground floor bath/shower room
Hidden down a peaceful private lane in the heart of Woodbridge between the Thoroughfare and the river Deben, 4 Doric Place is a charming Regency property with the advantage of spacious living rooms, comfortable bedrooms and delightful views over lovely gardens and the ancient rooftops of Woodbridge towards the river. Perfect for families with children or a group of friends, the property is very well equipped and has a lovely private garden with loads of games.
ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), BAWDSEY 11 miles (16 km), SNAPE 13 miles (21 km), ALDEBURGH 20 miles (33 km)
About the property: Completely and delightfully refurbished, 4 Doric Place is a hidden gem in the centre of the charming ancient market town of Woodbridge. A 19th century town house, it is spacious and comfortable, and decorated tastefully with loads of space for all the family or a group of friends. Large comfortable bedrooms include a huge twin bedroom which has an alcove and a trundle - even with all beds in use there is still room to play. The two double bedrooms both have king sized beds and there is an en suite to the master bedroom and very generous family bathroom with bath and separate shower. The ground floor is equally spacious. Two large sitting rooms means that some can watch TV whilst other play games, use the wifi or relax with friends. Nicely equipped kitchen with both an AGA and electric cooker.
4 Doric Place is situated in the very heart of the ancient part of Woodbridge, just a minute's walk to the pretty town centre, local amenities and the wonderful quayside and river walk. The station is a couple of minutes walk from the house and with an hourly train service getting you to London in an hour and a half, you don't even need to bring the car.
The Property is ideal for: Those looking to explore all areas of the Suffolk Coast including Woodbridge, Orford, Snape and Aldeburgh. The river Deben meanders through Woodbridge offering walkers and bird watchers an idyllic footpath by the water's edge. Adults and teenagers will love 4 Doric Place for its great range of both indoor and outdoor games and its close proximity to the shops, pubs and restaurants. The Thoroughfare is lined with coffee shops, some chic independent boutiques, galleries and superb ancient buildings. Historic buildings of interest include: St Mary's Church, the Shire Hall, the old Seckford Almshouses, and the recently renovated working Tide Mill - an iconic building. The quayside has a traditional theatre/cinema and a footbridge over the railway line offers stunning views along the Deben river. Woodbridge has something for the younger children too with a leisure pool and a great outdoor playground at Kingston Playing Field. Foxburrow Farm, Sutton Hoo visitors' centre, Framlingham Castle and Easton Farm Park are all a short drive away and it's worth checking their websites for seasonal events and family activities.
The surrounding country side is very popular with cyclists, being relatively flat, so bring your bicycles. Alternatively bike hire is available from nearby Rendlesham Forest.
Grounds: A door from the kitchen leads to a sunny walled courtyard garden with table and chairs. There is a large and very lovely mature gated garden with areas of lawn, mature fruit trees and flowering shrubs, and a terraced area for al fresco dining or for younger children to play. The garden is both secluded and sunny and includes croquet, badminton and swing ball.
Parking: There is no parking at the house or in the lane. You can drive the car up the little lane to the front door to drop off bags etc but be warned that it is narrow and lined with trees and bushes so you need to drive carefully. There are good public car parks within a couple of minutes' walk in both directions and weekly parking tickets can be purchased at the nearby library/tourist information centre at currently £10 for a full week. For more information please call Woodbridge Tourist Information Centre on 01394 382240.
If your car is large or narrow lanes are not your thing, simply park at the end of the lane and walk up - the house is very close to the Thoroughfare and only a couple of minutes from The Quay Side end of the lane. If you wish to access via the Thoroughfare (see map) please be aware that it is one way (East Melton End - to West) and closed to traffic between 10am and 4pm. (On the Thoroughfare Doric Place is on the left just beyond Costa).
Sleeps: 6 in two double bedrooms both with king sized bed and a twin bedded room with further trundle bed all on the first floor.
Minimum Hire: Two nights, except in high season when it is a week.
Pets: Sorry, no pets allowed.
The staircase is relatively steep and curving and so not ideal for unsteady toddlers or those with mobility problems. There is a lift (carrying up to 3 passengers) ideal for anyone with mobility problems and for transporting heavy suitcases and luggage to the first floor.
Self-catering eating and drinking: A short stroll will bring you to the local amenities, including general stores, delis, bakers and butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers. The local produce in Woodbridge is outstanding. The Woodbridge Farmers' Market is held every second and fourth Saturday of the month; a great place to stock up on locally-sourced produce and there is a regular fruit and veg market every Thursday. There are also plenty of good farm shops a short drive away, for example The Farm Cafe and Food Market, which is situated en route to the coastal town of Aldeburgh at Marlesford. Click here for Local Food producers.
Eating and drinking out: There are a number of excellent, and very old, traditional Suffolk pubs within walking distance of 4 Doric Place. Just some include: The Angel, in Theatre Street, with open fires in winter, plenty of seating in the beer garden in the summer, live music, a good pub menu and daily specials, and a choice of guest ales and over 100 gins this little pub really is something special. Ye Olde Bell and Steel Yard, New Street. A warm welcome awaits at this charming 16th Century Inn, the oldest pub in town. Enjoy the local real ales, cider and menu of home cooked food using fresh local produce. The Anchor, Quay Street boasts an excellent menu with traditional local ales in a relaxing and friendly atmosphere, a favourite with locals and visitors alike. For a comfortable, relaxed family meal there is Prezzo Woodbridge, an Italian restaurant just a short stroll from Doric Place.
There are also some top class restaurants; The Riverside is a great contemporary restaurant serving tapas type lunches and excellent evening meals. In good weather you can sit outside - excellent ice cream available from their ice cream parlour. At the top of the square close to the Shire Hall is The Galley - fine dining in a really pleasant atmosphere.
Packing tips: Don't forget your beachwear; the Suffolk Coast isn't far away.
For much more information on the area take a look at our local sites. Visit Woodbridge, Visit Orford, Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Framlingham
- The front door opens into the hall to the left of which is
- Spacious sitting room with large and comfortable L-shaped, arm chair, side tables. Tables and lamps, large corner cupboard and flat screen TV with Freeview, Blu-ray recorder, DVD, books and CDs. There is also a Nintendo Wii.
- Beside the sitting room is a ground floor shower room with walk in shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- To the right of the hall is the second sitting room with 2 large sofas, 2 footstools, coffee table, Small Table and 2 chairs, bookcase with local interest books and maps and board games for all the family.
- A door leads from the sitting room to the large kitchen/dining room. Fully fitted, there is a 2-oven gas AGA and a large electric cooker, dishwasher and fridge with freezer above, microwave, cafetiere, and stove top coffee pot and good supply of equipment. The dining table seats 8 with benches and chairs. There is an iPod dock/Radio in here.
- Beyond the kitchen is the utility room with washing machine, tumble dryer, butler sink, iron board and iron and loads of cupboard space. A door leads from the utility room to the front of the house and a further door opens onto the courtyard garden.
- To the back of the hall there is a lift, ideal for transporting bags and cases to the first floor, it is also suitable for adult use. Please see weight restrictions. Children should not use the lift without adult supervision.
- There is a master bedroom with king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers and easy chair.
- The ensuite bathroom has a shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 has a king sized double bed, bedside tables and chest of drawers. There is a coal effect gas fire in the Victorian fireplace, and an easy chair. The bay window includes a window seat and cushions.
- Bedroom 3 has full sized twin beds and a further trundle bed underneath, bedside table and lamps, and a chest of drawers. A curtained nook set into the wall is a fun place for children to read or play.
- There is an upstairs cloakroom with w.c. and wash basin, towel rail
- The enormous family bathroom includes a roll top bath, separate shower and wash basin. There are large built in cupboards with limited hanging space. An easy chair in the window recess is a very attractive addition.
- There is a private courtyard garden with bistro table and chairs.
- A south-facing spacious lawned and planted garden is situated across the lane in front of the house. Surrounded by roses and mature shrubs, the garden is very private, with a garden seat on the lawn. A summer house offers space to store bikes or sit and relax in chilly weather, and there is a terrace with garden table and benches, and a barbecue. This section of garden is also walled.
- There is a charcoal barbecue available, fuel is provided. There is also a table football game for holidaymakers use in the shed.
- Bed linen and towels provided, please bring your own beach towels. There is also a hair dryer.
- Gas central heating throughout the house
- Unlimited Wifi
- Games, books and DVDs in the house, there is also a great collection of outdoor games for the garden including swing ball, badminton and croquet.
- The Angel - tel. 01394 383808
- The Anchor - tel. 01394 382649
- The Cherry Tree - tel. 01394 384627
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 387750. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- Parking: There is no parking at 4 Doric Place. There is a car park around the corner as well as plenty of others in Woodbridge. Weekly permits can be purchased from the Tourist Information Centre for around £10 per week. For more information please contact Suffolk Cottage Holidays.
- Please be aware, there are some low doorways. The property has a steep and narrow staircase so toddlers and young children will need supervision on the stairs. There is a passenger lift to the 1st floor, ideal for the elderly as well as for suitcases etc.