On the quayside, close to the iconic Woodbridge Tide Mill and the newly developed waterfront Woodbridge where a full size replica of the Sutton Hoo burial ship has been created alongside an exhibition and crafts workshop, riverside restaurants and boutiques with amazing views of the Deben Estuary towards Waldingfield and Sutton Hoo.
ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), BAWDSEY 11 miles (16 km), SNAPE 13 miles (21 km), ALDEBURGH 20 miles (33 km)
About the property: Spacious and extremely well fitted, there are fantastic views of the river Deben from every room. Completely and delightfully refurbished, The Harbour Master's House is an absolute gem with some of the best riverside views in Woodbridge. Superbly located in the charming ancient market town of Woodbridge, holidaymakers can relax on the balcony and watch the boats, birds and seals glide by, visit the cinema / theatre, eat in any one of four great restaurants, wonderful local pubs or browse around the book shops, antique shops and local food shops or visit the market - all of which are within a couple of walk of the Harbour Master's House. Built in the 19th century the Harbour Master's House has been completely refurbished in the last couple of years and now has a spacious, contemporary finish; it has been tastefully decorated to reflect its marine environment offering everything you will require for your self catering holiday on the Suffolk coast
Loads of space for all the family or two couples, there are two sitting rooms, two log fires and two TVs as well as a snooker table giving everyone the opportunity to relax in the way they wish.
The station is a couple of minutes walk from the house and with an hourly train service getting you to London in an hour and a half, you don't even need to bring the car.
The Property is ideal for: exploring all areas of the Suffolk Coast including Woodbridge, Orford, Snape and Aldeburgh. The river Deben meanders through Woodbridge offering walkers and bird watchers an idyllic footpath by the water's edge which stretches for over 3 miles between Kyson Point and Melton and includes an amazing new development Woodbridge Riverside which is just a few steps from the property.
The Thoroughfare is lined with coffee shops, some chic independent boutiques, galleries and superb ancient buildings. Historic buildings of interest include: St Mary's Church, the Shire Hall, the old Seckford Almshouses, and the recently renovated working Tide Mill - an iconic building. The quayside has a traditional theatre/cinema. Woodbridge has something for the younger children too with a great outdoor playground at Kingston Playing Field. Foxburrow Farm, Sutton Hoo visitors' centre, Framlingham Castle and Easton Farm Park are all a short drive away and it's worth checking their websites for seasonal events and family activities.
The surrounding countryside is very popular with cyclists, being relatively flat, so bring your bicycles. Alternatively bike hire is available from nearby Rendlesham Forest.
Parking: There are private parking spaces for 2 cars directly behind the house.
Sleeps: 4-6 in one double bedroom and a twin; there is a sofa bed on the ground floor but this needs to be booked in advance.
Minimum Hire: Three nights, except in high season when it is a week.
Pets: Sorry, no pets allowed.
Self-catering eating and drinking: A short stroll will bring you to the local amenities, including general stores, delis, bakers and butchers, greengrocers and fishmongers. The local produce in Woodbridge is outstanding. The Woodbridge Farmers' Market is held every second and fourth Saturday of the month; a great place to stock up on locally-sourced produce and there is a regular fruit and veg market every Thursday. There are also plenty of good farm shops a short drive away, for example The Farm Cafe and Food Market, which is situated en route to the coastal town of Aldeburgh at Marlesford. Click here for Local Food producers.
Eating and drinking out: There are a number of excellent, and very old, traditional Suffolk pubs within walking distance of the Harbour Master's House. Just some include: The Angel, in Theatre Street, with open fires in winter, plenty of seating in the beer garden in the summer, live music, a good pub menu and daily specials, and a choice of guest ales and over 100 gins this little pub really is something special.Ye Olde Bell and Steel Yard, New Street. A warm welcome awaits at this charming 16th Century Inn, the oldest pub in town. Enjoy the local real ales, cider and menu of home cooked food using fresh local produce. The Anchor, Quay Street boasts an excellent menu with traditional local ales in a relaxing and friendly atmosphere, a favourite with locals and visitors alike. For a comfortable, relaxed family meal there is Prezzo Woodbridge, an Italian restaurant just a short stroll away.
There are also some top class restaurants; The Riverside is a great contemporary restaurant serving tapas type lunches and excellent evening meals. In good weather you can sit outside - excellent ice cream available from their ice cream parlour. At the top of the square close to the Shire Hall is The Galley - fine dining in a really pleasant atmosphere.
Packing tips: Don't forget your beachwear; the Suffolk Coast isn't far away.
For much more information on the area take a look at our local sites. Visit Woodbridge, Visit Orford,Visit Aldeburgh and Visit Framlingham
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 9.4 miles from the coast
- The front door opens into a lobby area with coat stand and plenty of room for outdoor books and shoes.
- To the left is the Sitting room, divided into two discrete areas, the larger area includes 2 x 3 seater sofas, large coffee table, log burning stove, large flat screen television (Free view package) HD and DVD. The large windows to the south side have wonderful views across the quay and the estuary
- There is a second sitting area with easy chairs and sofa
- To the right of the front door is a large games area with half size snooker table
- A door leads to the the utility room - washing machine, sink, storage cupboards - to one end of the utility room is a cloakroom with w.c wash hand basin, towel rail
- A door leads to a small hall with utility cupboard and stairs to the first floor
- The easy staircase leads to the landing with large storage cupboard
- Really delightful double bedroom with king size bed, loads of hanging space in fitted cupboards, chair, bedside tables and super views over the quay and estuary
- Twin bedded room with bedside table, two storage units, views over the quay
- The living area is open plan and includes
- Fully-fitted kitchen with built in electric range cooker with two ovens and 5 ring hob and microwave, fridge and freezer and dishwasher. There is a central island where the dishwasher and double sink are housed and a further unit which includes storage and drinks fridge. A door leads to the large south facing balcony
- There is a large dining table with six chairs and fitted cupboard with a great selection of local books and novels
- The sitter area includes a log burning stove, sofa and easy chairs, small drinks tables and fitted unit with additional storage, large flat screen television (Free view package) HD and DVD.
- Lovely contemporary bathroom with bath, overhead shower, w.c. and wash hand basin, towel rail
- Central heating throughout plus 2 log burning stoves
- Heating, bedlinen and towels included
- Parking in large courtyard for 2 cars
- Large south facing balcony with table and chairs, bbq overlooking the quay and the estuary, steps lead down from the balcony to the quay area
- In consideration of other visitors, guests are asked not to smoke indoors
- An unlimited broadband/wifi service is provided.
Lovely property in an excellent location with great views, very spacious and warm - our family came to visit on a number of occasions and we had some good competitive games of pool. We appreciated the welcome goodies that were left for us and there were plenty of logs for the wood burners, this was great as we had very cold weather. We would love to come to this property in the Summer and make use of the fabulous balcony, the snow stopped us on this occasion.Mrs M Peak - 12th February 2018
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...