DescriptionThis delightful getaway house, located in the very heart of ancient Woodbridge, almost certainly dates back to the town's medieval foundations. Many of the original features have been exposed as part of a beautiful refurbishment, resulting in a light and airy feel. Perfect for a family holiday or an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life with a group of friends.
ORFORD 12 miles (19 km), BAWDSEY 11 miles (16 km), SNAPE 13 miles (21 km), ALDEBURGH 20 miles (33 km)
About the Property: A house with centuries of history, 11a Theatre Street?s exterior and interior are a testament to its fascinating past. The house was first cited in 1577, when the building was set up as The Free Grammar School by Thomas Arnott. The school is believed to have consisted of a single classroom at the front of the property before closing in 1607. It was then used as the Woodbridge Workhouse until 1867 when it was purchased by a timber merchant and steam sawyers.
The current owners have removed many of the 20th century wall coverings to reveal the fine old beams, fascinating wood carvings and stripped wooden floors. Every room has been completely refurbished and there is new furniture and fittings throughout. In one of the highest spots in Woodbridge, there are magnificent views over the rooftops to the river in one direction and the attractive grounds of Woodbridge School in the other. The building also features a magnificent carriage arch with a fine carved wooden beam dating back over four hundred years, as well as boasting a beautiful balcony, perfect for lazy mornings in the sun.
Parking: There is off street parking for one car. Additional parking can be found in the car park just a couple of steps from 11a Theatre Street. Weekly parking permits can be obtained from the Tourist Information Centre.
Exploring: Woodbridge is an ancient market town with many interesting historic buildings, including St Mary's Church, the Shire Hall and the old Seckford Alms Houses and Woodbridge Private School. There are a number of excellent (and ancient) Suffolk pubs, fine restaurants and a fantastic array of shops. The beautiful River Deben is a mere five minute walk away, with Sutton Hoo, Orford, Aldeburgh and the Suffolk coast all within a 15 to 20 minute drive.
Don?t fret, there is also plenty to keep the kids occupied; swimming at Deben Pool, Kingpin Bowling, cycling in Rendlesham Forest as well as activities unique to the area such as fossil hunting and sailing. For an unforgettable experience in one of Suffolk?s most scenic towns, book today.
Eating and Drinking: A short stroll into the town will bring you to the local amenities, including general stores, delis, bakers and butchers, greengrocers, fishmongers and quirky independent businesses. The Woodbridge Farmers' Market is held every second and fourth Saturday of the month; a great place to stock up on locally-sourced produce. There is also a regular fruit and veg market every Thursday. Click here for more on Local Food producers.
For more information on the area, including restaurants, pubs and cafe's, shopping facilities, and things to do, please visit our online guide, Visit Woodbridge.
- Sleeps 5
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- No pets
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- The entrance hall has area for coats etc with space for buggy storage. It leads to a ground floor cloakroom with wash basin and w.c.
- Living accommodation is on the 1st floor. The large sitting room has a wood burner, beams and stud work, sofas and easy chairs, occasional tables and lamps. There is a door leading to a wonderful south facing balcony with fantastic views over the roof tops towards the Deben Estuary and Sutton Hoo on the far side of the river. The kitchen has been completely refurbished and is fully fitted with electric oven and hob, fridge with freezer compartment, washer/dryer, dishwasher and microwave. The dining area is spacious with a table and 6 chairs and a dresser with china and cutlery. Both the dining room and kitchen have lovely views over the extensive wooded grounds of Woodbridge Private School and the roofscape of Woodbridge
- There are three bedrooms on the 2nd floor, the double having wonderful views over to the estuary. The 2nd bedroom has twin beds whilst the 3rd is an enchanting cosy single. There are two bathrooms, one with shower, wash basin and w.c., and the other with bath, hand held shower, wash basin and w.c.
- There is a 1st floor balcony with table and chairs where you can enjoy the afternoon sun and the magnificent views of the town and River Deben beyond
- There is a garage at 11a Theatre Street to park in. Alternatively, there is a public car park to the right of the property.
- Full central heating throughout, bed linen and towels are provided
- A complimentary initial basket of logs is also provided
- The Angel - tel. 01394 383808
- Ye Olde Bell and Steel Yard - tel. 01394 382933
- The Anchor - tel. 01394 382649
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 387750. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- Superfast fibre broadband installed October 2013
Suffolk Holiday Cottages were a pleasure! Everyone with whom I spoke or corresponded was courteous, knowledgeable, and very responsive and helpful. Our cottage was immaculate, well-located, and comfortable. I will definitely use them again for my next visit to the UK.Mrs Julie Walker - 2nd January 2018
Very good base to explore the area and in a lovely town. Mrs Gail Fay - 14th August 2017
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.