This completely refurbished mariners cottage in the heart of the Suffolk market town of Woodbridge is perfect for a couple looking to explore the area. Ideally situated within easy reach of the fantastic local amenities, Mariner's Cottage is also great for those looking for a self-catering bolthole in a period property.
About the property: Situated on the fringes of the popular Thoroughfare, Mariner's Cottage has been completely refurbished to suit the 21st century holidaymaker. Complete with stylish shaker kitchen, modern shower room and private courtyard there is a real welcome as soon as you step in the door. Although small, the cottage is packed full of charm and the owners have taken care to consider space saving techniques - including the fold down table in the kitchen and clever built in cupboards throughout.
Sleeps: 2 in 1 double bed. The bed has a low profile frame. Guests are asked to be warned that the stairs are typical of the era it was built in and so are steep and narrow. There is a handrail.
Parking: Although there is no dedicated parking space for Mariner's Cottage, you can pull up on the other side of the road outside to drop off your belongings.
There is a public car park 100 yards or so beyond the cottage, bearing right at the bottom of the hill just past Mariner's Cottage. Parking limit of 2 hours (£1.50) during the day, free between the hours of 6pm and 8am. Nearest unrestricted on-street parking is on Castle Street.
This property is ideal for: A couple or single looking to explore the wonders of this delightful county. Whether its' exploring the numerous footpaths, including along the River Deben, or cycling the surrounding villages and coast, there is plenty to keep you entertained. A huge plethora of wildlife calls the banks of the River Deben home, so keen photographers and birdwatchers needn't look far to see some of the local habitants.
Should you wish to explore the county without a car why not take the train? Woodbridge benefits from a small train station, providing connections to Ipswich and Lowestoft and is ideal for holidaymakers wishing to travel from London Liverpool Street (around 1 hour and 30 minutes).
Woodbridge has a vibrant community atmosphere, frequently holding events such as a charity 10K race, The Woodbridge Shuck Shellfish Festival, the annual Christmas Market and The Woodbridge Regatta and Riverside Fair.
Self-catering eating and drinking: There are plenty of independent food shops within walking distance of Mariner's Cottage should you wish to 'shop local'. Just a couple of doors down is The Bakehouse - a traditional family run bakery stocking plenty of breads, pastries and more. Further still is Woodbridge Deli - much loved by locals this quaint little shop stocks a wide variety of cheeses, pies, pastries and fine wines. For all your fruit and vegetable needs, Woodbridge Greengrocers can be found at The Turban Centre (just off The Thoroughfare), as well as Paul's Fish Box, a traditional fishmonger.
Should you wish to keep an open mind then the Thoroughfare will not disappoint. If you wish for something quick and simple, head to COOK for a wide variety of frozen meals which can be cooked in the oven. There are also two Co-Op stores in Woodbridge, the largest being at The Turban Centre. All major supermarkets will, however, deliver to Mariners Cottage should you wish to place an online order.
Eating and drinking out: The Old Mariner pub is just across the road from Mariner's Cottage. Recently refurbished, this traditional pub restaurant is deceptively spacious, with a lovely beer garden to the rear. There is always a vast variety of beers on tap so you will certainly be spoilt for choice. There is a basic food menu and bar snacks are available too. Known for hosting events throughout the year - look out for the folk evenings - always good fun. The Old Mariner pub is owned by the same family who also manage The Table and The Anchor (both also in Woodbridge) - so you can expect a high quality of service and food!
There are plenty of independent eateries throughout the town as well as well known chains including Prezzo.
For more information on what to do and where to go in the local area, head to Visit Woodbridge and Visit Orford.
Pets: Sadly, no dogs allowed. The owners' dog does visit from time to time so the property is not completely 'pet free'.
Children: Sadly, no babies or children are allowed due to the nature of the steep stairs at the property.
- Sleeps 2
- 1 Bedroom
- 1 Bathroom
- Sorry, no pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- The front door opens into the living area with 2 seat sofa, armchair, TV, electric fire, coffee table, lamps, bookshelves and books, boardgames, magazines, walking maps of Suffolk and general information books on the history of the area. There is a built in cupboard which houses the BBQ (in winter).
- Shower room with double width walk-in shower, basin, cupboard, wc and heated towel rail.
- Shaker kitchen with wood effect worktop, sink, pull out table with collapsible chairs, electric oven and 4 ring hob, fridge, radio with iPod dock, kettle, cafetiere, toaster. Doors lead out to the private courtyard and side alley.
- Traditional cottage stairs lead to the first floor. These are quite steep and narrow and curve in the middle. There is a hand rail, but it is open at the bottom. These may also be unsuitable for those with mobility problems.
- Landing/Reading room with traditional school writing desk with inkwell and chair and bookcase with a vast selection of books and DVDs. There is a hairdryer.
- Double bedroom with low profile double bed, bedside drawer units and lamps, chest of drawers and a built in wardrobe with hanging space.
- A small, private courtyard garden with patio area and 3 steps leading up to a shingle seating area with table and 2 chairs.
- Includes BBQ (in summer).
- Central heating is included.
- Bed linen and towels provided, but please bring your own beach towels if you are planning a trip to the coast.
- Please do not smoke in Mariner's Cottage.
- Wifi is provided but do note that the connection may be slower and patchier than you might be used to.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|21 Jul 17 - 8 Sep 17||£500|
|8 Sep 17 - 15 Sep 17||£480|
|15 Sep 17 - 22 Sep 17||£440|
|22 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£420|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£480|
|27 Oct 17 - 3 Nov 17||£420|
|3 Nov 17 - 22 Dec 17||£390|
|22 Dec 17 - 5 Jan 18||£500|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.