DescriptionHidden down a quiet country track, Boot Cottage is a true rural retreat yet within a couple of miles of the coast. Superbly refurbished for letting in 2014, the cottage has been completely revamped with the first floor converted to create two lovely en-suite bedrooms, each with their own staircase. Downstairs there are two charming reception rooms, a brand new kitchen, cloakroom and generous hall with a large garden beyond. Close to Iken, both Orford and Snape are within a 10 minute drive.
SNAPE 3.5 miles (5.5 km), ALDEBURGH 9 miles (14.5 km), ORFORD 5.5 miles (9 km), SOUTHWOLD 22 miles (35.5 km)
This Suffolk Cottage Holidays Property: Idyllic! This enchanting cottage lies deep in the heart of the Suffolk Coast & Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, yet is close to many Suffolk coast amenities. The cottage has been completely refurbished to create a light and spacious holiday property with two delightful bedrooms, one with super king and the other two singles. One bedroom has a large en suite bathroom/dressing room and the other a large shower room/dressing room. There is an intercommunicating door hidden between thick curtains to allow access between the two rooms when wanted - great for parents with young children. Each bedroom has its own staircase to the ground floor.
The sitting room has a lovely log burning stove, and the dining room can be used for quiet reading or board games. The modern kitchen is well equipped and spacious. An oak porch with pew seating has been created outside the front door and a suntrap terrace has been added for summer dining. Look out over the garden to the meadows beyond where there are often Red Poll cattle and a rich diversity of wildlife including woodpecker, egret, and barn owl. For more information on the property, please see here.
Ideal for: Just a mile from the Alde River, a stunning expanse of water with sandy beach and sailing boats, Boot Cottage will suit those seeking spectacular countryside and peaceful surroundings. Walkers, cyclists, birdwatchers, musicians and concert-goers will all adore this wonderful location. Painters and photographers will never be short of a landscape to capture. A quiet spot off the main tourist routes, it is still just minutes from restaurants, pubs and of course Snape Maltings Concert Hall, with its year round programme of musical and arts events.
Boot Cottage also makes the perfect family holiday home. Iken Canoe is just minutes from the property so you might like to hire a kayak or canoe and explore the wildlife and river that runs through Iken, and Iken Bay stables barely a mile away.
Eating and Drinking: The Froize Inn at Chillesford, perhaps your closest dining venue, offers wonderful home-cooked food in hearty portions. Snape is just a few miles away (and a lovely walk from Iken Cliff along the duckboards). With three good local pubs, all of which offer good local food from fish and chips at The Plough & Sail to a full pub dining menu at The Crown and The Golden Key, you can dine out every day.
Further afield, Aldeburgh has some great restaurants. The RegattaandThe Lighthouse are both very popular and there is also a good choice of shops selling excellent local produce. The historic fishing town of Orford is situated on the rivers Alde and Ore and well worth a visit for lunch, supper or just to explore. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smokehouse supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day. The Crown & Castle, Orford, co-owned by Ruth Watson of TV's The Hotel Inspector fame, offers a wonderful menu and enjoys great reviews.
Self Catering: There are several good farm shops nearby - make sure to visit Friday Street Farm Shop on the A1094 just off the A12 and The Farm Cafe and Food Market, Marlesford. There is also a great deli and tea room at Snape Maltings where you can buy Pump Street Bakery bread and cakes. The Orford village shop sells groceries and newspapers.
For more information on places to eat and things to do in the area, please take a look at Visit Snape.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 1 Well-behaved pet allowed
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 3 miles
- Nearest pub 3 miles
- 8.9 miles from the coast
- To the front of the cottage is an open porch with wooden pews to either side. A stable door opens into the hall
- The hall has a brick floor, hall table and built in boiler cupboard and fuse box above
- There is a spacious ground floor cloakroom with hooks for coats, space for boots and shoes beneath, wash basin and w.c., towel rail and local walking map
- The sitting room has a log burning stove (logs provided), sofa and two armchairs, occasional tables,, flat screen TV with Freeview and radio, DVD player, IPod dock built in cupboards, housing wi fi, books and games. A door leads to the staircase leading to the super king bedroom.
- The dining room has a round table and 4 chairs, two additional carvers are available, serving table and inbuilt wall cupboards with display china, wi fi and telephone for emergency and incoming calls only. The vacuum, cleaning materials etc are stored in the cupboard. The iron and ironing mat are stored in the other cupboard. A door leads to the staircase to the twin bedroom.
- Kitchen - the kitchen has a stable door leading to the garden, good sized electric cooker with two ovens, kettle and toaster, microwave, washing machine, freezer, fridge and dishwasher.
- Bedroom 1: With super king bed, bedside lights, easy chair, chest of drawers with mirror. Door to en-suite bathroom with free standing bath, washbasin, w.c., heated towel rail, wardrobe and chest of drawers.
- Bedroom 2: Twin beds, chest of drawers, bedside cabinets and lights, easy chair. Door to en-suite shower room with large walk in shower, washbasin and w.c., built in storage cupboard with hanging and shelf space, room for cases etc. Easy chair.
- A gate leads to the gravel drive where there is parking for several cars.
- The garden is largely grass with flower beds close to the cottage and a patio area with table and chairs. The garden is fenced but not necessarily dog proof. Electric fencing to the fields where livestock graze.
- There is a garden shed where the whirly gig washing line is stored. Garden equipment, bikes etc can also be stored there, There is a log store with logs for the wood burner
- Oil central heating throughout. Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring own beach towels.
- DOGS - One well behaved dog is welcome but please keep your dog on a lead in the garden as there may be areas which are not entirely dog proof. Hot and cold water outside taps with hoses are provided outside the kitchen for washing down muddy dogs. Please bring your own towels for drying the dog. There is plenty of space for a dog basket in the hall. Please restrict your dog to the brick floored rooms (hall, kitchen and ground floor cloakroom) as carpeting is cream.
- RESTRICTIONS - Boot Cottage is old and door heights are around or under six feet in several rooms. There are two staircases, both of which are curved and quite steep, one of the staircases is narrow. Both have handrails and ground and first floor doors.
coming from overcrowded Holland we loved the peace, the birds, the space and the gorgeous cottage ………………...Mrs carol oomkens - 15th June 2018
One of the best holiday cottages we have ever stayed in.Mrs Joanna Haigh - 3rd June 2018
We loved our long weekend at the cottage and hope that we can return for longer next time. The location, peaceful surroundings as well as the lovely rooms, beds and furniture made our stay just perfect.Mr David Glasspoole - 4th November 2017
Our first visit to Suffolk and feel like we've hit the jackpot with this beautiful cottage. Accommodation like this is a rare find; particularly when it accepts dogs! The location is idyllic and so very tranquil. Desperately want to stay longer. Thank you for sharing it with us. Mr Macklain - 18th August 2017
The house is even better than on the photos because of the quality of the furnishings and the peaceful surroundings. We enjoyed the perfect peace and the feeling that we were in the heart of the countryside, yet we were only a short drive away from excellent food suppliers, The Maltings for concerts and the coast.Ms Christine Gorse Harvey - 9th August 2017
We appreciated the wild flower garden with many butterflies in addition to the peaceful, lovely countryside.Mrs Jennifer Parsons - 2nd August 2017
Of the three cottages we have stayed in in this area over the years, this has by far been the most well-kept and comfortable. We found everything we needed in a beautiful, well-appointed cottage. We particularly enjoyed walking straight out of the door, along the farm track and into the forest.A previous customer - 29th August 2016
This was the best cottage we've ever stayed in. Really clean and exceptionally well appointed.A previous customer - 8th August 2016
Lovely cottage, beautiful setting. What more could you ask for? We enjoyed the great walks around Snape and Orford. It is great to find that shops/pubs/restaurants are generally independent - and usually very good - in Suffolk. All in all a great experience - I expect that we will be back!A previous customer - 22nd July 2016
Lovely to be in the real countryside. Spent lots of time on the porch listening to the jackdaws and rooks coming home to roost. Hare spotted not far away. Walked to Snape MaltingsÂ watching the light on the grasses. Went to Helmingham Hall gardens - dogs welcome - and fed fallen apples to their herd of deer. On the last night we sat on the porch and heard a Tawny owl calling - we even saw bats later!A previous customer - 23rd September 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
These fabulous value packages provides unlimited golf for either 3, 5 or 7 days during your holiday. Prices from £65.
- £65.00 - £130.00
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Open Top Touring Classic Sports Car Hire & Tour
Take in the sights of Suffolk in true style with a day’s self-drive tour in a open top classic sports car. Prices from £135 to £155.