Coastal self catering cottage in Suffolk. A charming, early Victorian, Grade 2 listed cottage on a peaceful road between Orford's Market Hill and the quay. The cottage has undergone a stunning renovation to create the perfect hideaway for just a couple or two singles seeking excellent accommodation, fine dining and wonderful coastal walks.
SNAPE 5.5 miles (9km) ALDEBURGH 12 miles (17km) WOODBRIDGE 12 miles (19km) SOUTHWOLD 26 miles (42km) FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (22km)
About the Property: The owners have transformed this attractive Grade 2 listed property into a top quality holiday cottage, achieving their aim to create a quiet, relaxing and romantic bolt hole where a couple or two singles might enjoy all the comforts of a luxury hotel with the freedom, privacy and space of a self catering cottage. Every item, every paint colour has been chosen with calming charm and comfort in mind. At Daphne Cottage you can be sure of loads of space in which to relax and enjoy the delights of Orford.
Grounds: Make the most of the sunshine. At the front of the cottage is a tiny cottage garden with Chelsea wrought iron garden bench, at the rear a sweet little decked patio with pots, table and chairs. There is even a wall anchor to secure your bikes.
Parking: There is parking in the road outside the cottage
Sleeps: 2 adults. The south east facing bedroom has a lovely king sized antique brass bedstead. A second bedroom, with double bed and brass bedstead, makes the cottage equally suitable for restless sleepers or two friends. Sadly no babies or children permitted at this cottage.
Ideal for: Writers, composers, artists and couples looking for a really comfortable and hassle free break where you can be confident that fine food and wine can be sourced within walking distance, and that any stroll around the village will offer a site of historic or cultural delight.
Orford has something for everyone; sailors, walkers, fishermen, cyclists, bird watchers, music and art lovers, those with an interest in history, fine food, and a penchant for beautiful surroundings. The church hosts many excellent concerts and Snape Maltings, home of Aldeburgh Music, is just a 15 minute drive from the cottage.
Minimum Hire: Three nights; except in high season when it is a week. Changeover is usually a Friday but is flexible outside High Seasons.
Self catering eating: The village shop, Orford General Stores is a gem - it has a post office and a cash point as well as loads of local produce. For the best bread, pastries and light lunches, do visit The Pump Street Bakery. There are two smokeries. Smoked fish, ham hocks and cheese can all be purchased in Orford at The Butley Orford Oysterage.
Eating out: If you fancy dining out then a visit to The Trinity Restaurant at the Crown & Castle, Orford, is a treat. Fish lovers will adore The Butley & Orford Oysterage and of course there are two excellent pubs in the village, The Kings Head and The Jolly Sailor, which both serve excellent meals. Feel free to enjoy an Adnams beer or fine wine alongside your Orford cuisine; all pubs are within a few minutes' walk of the cottage.
Orford is a delightful coastal village, with a fascinating 12th century castle keep once a major pillar in the defence of the English coast. Across the estuary (just a 5 minute boat ride away) is Orford Ness (an area of historic and environmental fascination run by the National Trust). There are spectacular views from the quay along the coast to Aldeburgh to the north and Havergate Island (a RSPB bird sanctuary) to the south.
Entertainment: Large HD TV, DVD player and iPod dock. There is a collection of DVDs for you to enjoy, as well as some excellent Suffolk guides and novels.
Packing tips: Wellingtons and walking boots will be very useful so you can have a good old stomp along the coast without ruining your best shoes! Do bring your own beach towels. With so many quiet country lanes bikes would be a bonus.
- Sleeps 2
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No pets
- No private parking
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- The sitting room is equipped with a log burning stove, sofa and easy chair, coffee table, large HD TV with DVD and freeview, iPod dock, games and books
- The kitchen has a dining table and chairs, the kitchen units are fully fitted and include built in dishwasher, washing machine / tumble dryer, fridge with freezer compartment, electric oven and induction hob. There is a cafetiere , Dualit toaster and kettle and microwave as well as loads of china, glasses, cutlery etc. and laundry airer. The kitchen has oak flooring and underfloor heating
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower, heated towel rail, washing basin and w.c., underfloor heating
- Bedroom 1: An antique brass king sized bed, bedside cabinets and lamps, hanging hooks and large chest of drawers
- Bedroom 2 An antique double bed with bedside table and lamp, wall hooks and hangers
- To the front of the cottage is a tiny gated cottage garden area with Chelsea wrought iron bench
- To the rear is a small gated decked patio garden with pots and table and chairs, wall mounted bike stand to secure your bikes
- There is a further communal grassed garden which is shared by the immediate neighbours
- Heating is by electric radiators, underfloor heating in the kitchen and bathroom and log burning stove in the sitting room
- Bed linen and towels are provided, please bring your own beach towels
- Guests are asked to consider neighbours and other holidaymakers and not smoke in the property
- A limited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Please bring connection cables as you may have to attach your laptop to the router. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost.
- Please note this property is not suitable for children or babies
- The Kings Head, Orford - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor, Orford - tel. 01396 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- Wood for wood burning stove; full basket of logs and kindling provided. Extra available at £5 a bag.
We love it and will keep returning!Ms Deborah Bell - 15th February 2018
Lovely cottage which we return to at least twice a year, great service from the team. Some fabulous walks in the local areaMs Lesley Tyler - 9th November 2017
We loved everything about the cottage! Thank you very much! The service you provided was excellent. It extremely quick, friendly and competent.Ms Elisa Tamaschke - 2nd August 2017
Absolutely lovely. We could buy it lock, stock and barrel! Ms L A Rowan-Mayberry - 10th July 2017
Daphne Cottage is fabulous, very comfortable and well maintained.Lesley T, Oxfordshire - 5th April 2016
Lovely cottage in a lovely location. Kitchen was well stocked with equipment and the beds were very comfortable.Rosamunde G, Suffolk - 11th September 2015
The cottage was stylish and comfortable and the furnishings and equipment were of a very high quality. Everything had been carefully considered to give the very best experience.Joyce B, Surrey - 22nd August 2015
Lovely cottage in peaceful, atmospheric area & delightful village.Janet C, MonmouthshireÂ - 21st August 2015
It was perfect! ÂLesley M, Wiltshire - 11th February 2014
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...
Nomad Sea Kayaking Nomad Sea Kayaking Adventure
Get active with an adventure sea kayaking experience. See a different view of Suffolk’s waterside landscape and wildlife, on one of these truly memorable tr...
Big Sky Yoga Private Yoga Session
Relax into your Suffolk holiday with a private yoga session in the comfort of your holiday cottage or garden from leading yoga instructor Angie Lee-Foster.
Ufford Park Health & Spa Two for One Fire and Ice Spa Day at Ufford Park Spa
Treat yourself and a partner to the ultimate indulgent day of relaxation at The Thermal Suite, Ufford Park Spa, plus enjoy 25% discount on treatments.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price